need help with jetting.

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

tclayton9
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

need help with jetting.

Post by tclayton9 »

OK so I've been having a problem with my fizzer. When I blip the throttle it bogs and when I try to haul a&* on her it hesitates a little like it's not getting enough gas. Plus it has a little bit of a rough idle. Yesterday was my third time in the past 3 months checking my carbs. Everything is clean, fresh gas, no restricted fuel flow, and screws are three turns out. But yesterday I realized something. The previous owner had installed a aftermarket exhaust. You can barely tell because its a dull chrome but the mouth of the exhaust is wider. So I was thinking to fix this problem I would install 110 mains. I also wanted to install new pilots but I have no idea where to start. Can someone help me out on what to use and where to purchase them from. I am running the stock airbox.
tclayton9
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: need help with jetting.

Post by tclayton9 »

bump
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Pilots and mains you can get from a Yammy dealer or a Mikuni dealer. Have you checked your airbox and boots, like I suggested?
tclayton9
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by tclayton9 »

Today I tore the carbs down checked everything, set screw's to three turns out checked carb boots and intake boots. I made sure everything was air tight. I started it and sprayed starting fluid around the boots and it didn't change in rpms. it no longer runs lean but at a stop sign it idles around 1000 like it wants to shut off and twice in my drive way after sitting for about a minute it did. And when I try to haul a$& its a slight hole in the power band.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Get the engine warm, then adjust your idle screw so you're sitting around 1200 rpm.
tclayton9
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by tclayton9 »

Would that help the hole it the powerband? I also thought that an aftermarket exhaust needs re-jetting.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Depends on the pipe. Some do, some don't. And trying to pull away from a light from below normal revs is an exercise in futility.
tclayton9
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by tclayton9 »

OK I understand. But today after I tweaked with the carbs. It shifted so smooth and nibble. I'll just keep it where its at. I mean it does gets me out of dangerous situations quickly, its not like I'm racing it. My last question......is it normal for the brakes to rub a bit on the rotors.
TomJ
Site Newbie

Post by TomJ »

tclayton9 wrote:...is it normal for the brakes to rub a bit on the rotors.
Yes. To an extent. Jack it up till the front end's off the ground and spin the wheel. It shouldn't "feel" like it has drag, spin somewhat freely, but you'll hear the pads scraping slightly on the disc. If there's friction you can feel, then something's hanging. Have you flushed the system? DOT4 or 5.1?
“What matters is how quickly you do what your soul directs.” ― Rumi, The Essential Rumi