'92 FZR 600, anyone try different gauges?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

GrizFyrFyter
Site Newbie

Post by GrizFyrFyter »

The gauges on my younger brothers bike aren't working. I can get replacement gauges for $100 or get aftermarket for a little more. I heard a rumor that YZF gauges might be compatible.
Bandon
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: '92 FZR 600, anyone try different gauges?

Post by Bandon »

Have a look at the Trail Tech Vapor. I had one on my last bike and now have one on my FZR. I really like this gauge. Easy to install, small enough to mount wherever you want, and it's got all the functions you need. Plus, with the little "dashboard" you can pick and choose different dummy lights so that you get you oil level, turn signals, neutral, etc... indicators. Trail Tech sells them for around 115-120. I got mine new on ebay from a distributor who had it listed as a buy it now or OBO. I offered 100 bucks and they took it. Plus free shipping. then the "dashboard" was another 45-50. Give that one a look. There are certainly better gauges out there. But of the two that I've had, I've never had any complaints. And, as mentioned before, they're really simple to install.
'96 FZR 600 - work in progress
Rooster
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Rooster »

Yup I modified my XS11 to a cafe style bike and used the same trail tech vapor with dash board and was only out $210(canadian) with shipping and it is a great setup being backlit and has coolant temp or air cooled options plus it tells you the outside air temp as well. Great bang for the buck and gives you a cool digital single guage look.
Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana
GrizFyrFyter
Site Newbie

Post by GrizFyrFyter »

Rooster wrote:Yup I modified my XS11 to a cafe style bike and used the same trail tech vapor with dash board and was only out $210(canadian) with shipping and it is a great setup being backlit and has coolant temp or air cooled options plus it tells you the outside air temp as well. Great bang for the buck and gives you a cool digital single guage look.
Thanks. I will definitely look into it
GrizFyrFyter
Site Newbie

Post by GrizFyrFyter »

Bandon wrote:Have a look at the Trail Tech Vapor. I had one on my last bike and now have one on my FZR. I really like this gauge. Easy to install, small enough to mount wherever you want, and it's got all the functions you need. Plus, with the little "dashboard" you can pick and choose different dummy lights so that you get you oil level, turn signals, neutral, etc... indicators. Trail Tech sells them for around 115-120. I got mine new on ebay from a distributor who had it listed as a buy it now or OBO. I offered 100 bucks and they took it. Plus free shipping. then the "dashboard" was another 45-50. Give that one a look. There are certainly better gauges out there. But of the two that I've had, I've never had any complaints. And, as mentioned before, they're really simple to install.
What model did you get for your FZR and what dashboard did you use?
Bandon
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Bandon »

This one is the one I got. It's a generic kit for conventional forks. I got the black one (stealth). http://www.trailtech.net/product8157.html
This is the Dashboard. http://www.trailtech.net/022-PDA.html

Unfortunately, you can't used the wiring harness for some of the idiot lights. Some of them use a switched ground with a constant 12v signal going to the indicator light. The dashboard harness has the ground wires for the lights combined and it screw stuff up. But, it's really easy to just snip the wires and wire them individually instead of trying to use the harness. if you decide to go with this one, I'll be happy to give you a quick how-to on which wires go where. Keep in mind, I only used blinker indicators, high beams, and neutral lights. I'm going to install a small red led on the top triple for a low oil level light.
'96 FZR 600 - work in progress
GrizFyrFyter
Site Newbie

Post by GrizFyrFyter »

Good info!
demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

Bandon wrote:This one is the one I got. It's a generic kit for conventional forks. I got the black one (stealth). http://www.trailtech.net/product8157.html
This is the Dashboard. http://www.trailtech.net/022-PDA.html

Unfortunately, you can't used the wiring harness for some of the idiot lights. Some of them use a switched ground with a constant 12v signal going to the indicator light. The dashboard harness has the ground wires for the lights combined and it screw stuff up. But, it's really easy to just snip the wires and wire them individually instead of trying to use the harness. if you decide to go with this one, I'll be happy to give you a quick how-to on which wires go where. Keep in mind, I only used blinker indicators, high beams, and neutral lights. I'm going to install a small red led on the top triple for a low oil level light.
old topic i know, but if you've got a quick how-to for which wires go where for idiot lights, that would be awesome. i'm about to wire mine up this weekend. i've seen a lot of old threads with offers to come up with a wiring diagram or how-to, but no one ever actually did. so far i've pieced together some of the "gotchas" from other people's trial and error, so i know the tach might be an issue, and from your comments the lights themselves are goofy too. if you've got that info handy, that'd be great, if not i guess i'll find out myself this weekend :)
1996 FZR 600
Custom exhaust made from R6 header and GSXR600 end pipe
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
Needs paint and on her way to being a streetfighter
FzrNick
Site Newbie

Post by FzrNick »

Demon, that should be a definite STICKY if you made a diagram for the vapor gauge. I plan on getting one in spring time. What model did you get??? Like you, if I play around with the wiring, I'd end up getting it to work. But, let us know if you had any troubles hooking up your vapor.
B.t.w. Since I'm installing a digital gauge, I have my factory up for sale. If anyone is interested, make me an offer. I'm a reasonable guy.
demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

FzrNick wrote:Demon, that should be a definite STICKY if you made a diagram for the vapor gauge. I plan on getting one in spring time. What model did you get??? Like you, if I play around with the wiring, I'd end up getting it to work. But, let us know if you had any troubles hooking up your vapor.
B.t.w. Since I'm installing a digital gauge, I have my factory up for sale. If anyone is interested, make me an offer. I'm a reasonable guy.
i don't have a digram and unfortunately i didn't end up having time to work on my bike this weekend. the gauge i got is the 752-601 http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor/752-601. the wiring for the gauge itself seems very straightforward, but i got the dash kit with dummy lights and that's where there's some questioning. although, as i'm sitting here looking at the wiring diagram for the bike, it's starting to click, so it should be relatively painless. as Bandon mentioned, most of the lights are on a switched ground so you have to wire each light individually. the wiring for the vapor lights is obviously different colors than stock fzr wiring, so i'll just use wires that make the most sense for each of the lights :P
1996 FZR 600
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
FzrNick
Site Newbie

Post by FzrNick »

i don't have a digram and unfortunately i didn't end up having time to work on my bike this weekend. the gauge i got is the 752-601 http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor/752-601. the wiring for the gauge itself seems very straightforward, but i got the dash kit with dummy lights and that's where there's some questioning. although, as i'm sitting here looking at the wiring diagram for the bike, it's starting to click, so it should be relatively painless. as Bandon mentioned, most of the lights are on a switched ground so you have to wire each light individually. the wiring for the vapor lights is obviously different colors than stock fzr wiring, so i'll just use wires that make the most sense for each of the lights :P[/quote]

I called up trail tech to order a gauge and they wanted to make sure I ordered the right model. I was told to measure the inside diameter of the coolant hose. Have any clue what the diameter is ?????? Is the 752-601 the one I want??? :tks:
demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

FzrNick wrote:i don't have a digram and unfortunately i didn't end up having time to work on my bike this weekend. the gauge i got is the 752-601 http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/vapor/752-601. the wiring for the gauge itself seems very straightforward, but i got the dash kit with dummy lights and that's where there's some questioning. although, as i'm sitting here looking at the wiring diagram for the bike, it's starting to click, so it should be relatively painless. as Bandon mentioned, most of the lights are on a switched ground so you have to wire each light individually. the wiring for the vapor lights is obviously different colors than stock fzr wiring, so i'll just use wires that make the most sense for each of the lights :P

I called up trail tech to order a gauge and they wanted to make sure I ordered the right model. I was told to measure the inside diameter of the coolant hose. Have any clue what the diameter is ?????? Is the 752-601 the one I want??? :tks:[/quote]

you shouldn't need that, so it won't matter. the kits are "universal", and to get coolant temperature they have a sensor that goes *in* one of the radiator hoses (http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges ... emp-sensor). Pretty sure my kit came with this one. Mine is blue, so I am assuming. Like I said, you won't need it. All you need to do is remove their sensor from the hose fitting and replace your stock temp sensor with theirs. The stock one is right near the water pump.
1996 FZR 600
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit