how to clean FZR carburetors (video)

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

how to clean FZR carburetors (video)

Post by match417 »

Hey guys, I've been putting up a load of videos on youtube lately and here are a few that I made yesterday. Hopefully one of the mods can pin this in the wiki.

FZR600 carburetor cleaning

Drilling out EPA caps

Bench sync FZR600 carbs
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: how to clean FZR carburetors (video)

Post by ragedigital »

Way to go!

These videos have been added to the Carb Page in the WIKI :: http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=c ... ge&#videos

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

awesome, I've had my bike for over 4 years and have never been in the carbs out of a belief that I'll spontaneously snap everything I touch . Looks easy enough should I every feel the inclination to open them up
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

when I was editing this video I realized I left out some small things, but I added in comments. My other carburetor videos have that info though, and all motorcycle carburetors are practically the same.
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

I should have added this to my other response when I responded. In the video I mention a separate video about my yzf600r carbs on my bike, I thought I made the video but apparently I haven't. If I make that video would it get pinned as well?
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

match417 wrote: If I make that video would it get pinned as well?
Keep them coming...
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

If it's useful it'll become a sticky. Since YZFs and FZRs go hand in hand with the parts swapping a vid for the YZF stuff isn't a bad idea. :cheers:
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
nicrod
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by nicrod »

so under those EPA caps are the adjusters for individual carbs??? I had no idea! I have to finish these vids later!
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

nicrod wrote:so under those EPA caps are the adjusters for individual carbs??? I had no idea! I have to finish these vids later!
To be more specific they are the screws for the idle mixture. The caps are brass and can be drilled out and removed-just like all the rest of the cali crap surrounding the oil filter-but that's another thread.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

nicrod wrote:so under those EPA caps are the adjusters for individual carbs??? I had no idea! I have to finish these vids later!
I don't know if they are necessarily mandated by the EPA so much as they are there so you don't mess with the Idle Mixture that is set at the factory.

darrin
6mawler1

Post by 6mawler1 »

(Heavily modified comments)

Those small o-rings have noting to do with the enrichment. Infact they seal the vaccumn passage to the diaphragms.

Why NO mention of the main air jet nor the pilot air jet?
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

Thanks for your comment. I'm sorry you feel that way, but I've cleaned somewhere around 100 carburetors doing them the same way I mentioned in the video and they run perfectly every time. Two cylinders or four cylinders it a smooth idle every time. I'll admit that I don't know what the o-ring seals go to, and I think I said something to that affect in the video. I'm not exactly sure what major issues you had with the video, but thanks for your comment anyway.
6mawler1

Post by 6mawler1 »

Match so many times I've read my carbs are "squeaky clean" and yes for minor carb issues your sorry but half a carb clean may suffice.

Why take the trouble to remove/dismantle the carbs only do half a job huh? Clean them thoroughly I.E. The slides can be cleaned carefully with a clean rag sprayed with carb cleaner, The emulsion tubes should be removed, then all parts except anything rubber can and should be carefully cleaned with carb cleaner or petrol (gas to Americans)

Theres a screw spring washer o-ring, remove them, clean them with carb cleaner (not the o-ring) then blast the idle passage with either and or carb cleaner/compressed air, The same goes for the pilot air jet and it's passage. The main air jet should also be cleaned.

Why take your time to remove/dismantle the carbs? Clean ALL Jets, not only the jets in the float bowl :grinnod:
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

I'll admit, at first I thought you were just being a jerk, so I disregarded your comments. After reviewing my video I noticed that yes I must have skipped that step, so I'll probably go through my other set of FZR carburetors to add in that part of the video that I missed. I have another video of a different bike that I put up months ago where I discuss the air jets and cleaning the other passages in the carburetors by the way. You strike me as the type of person that will pick out one thing and blow it way out of proportion, saying things like "massive fail" and "you have no idea how carbs work"..lol. This is in regard to air jets (which don't get gunked up by fuel, but should still be cleaned). Also a response like this should have been directed to my inbox as a private message so that I can correct the issue instead of broadcasting it to everyone so that you make yourself look smarter (which may be the case, I'm not saying you aren't or that I am). There are more respectful ways to approach people, and saying "no offense" doesn't cover up offense. Again, thanks for the comments (just send them as pms next time with a more respectful tone), and feel free to find something wrong with the other video below. I'm not an argumentative person, so I can't see that my responding to this will actually help since you will be more prone to respond to make me look worse. Have a great day.

GS500 cleaning
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Hi,
I watched the video's out of curiosity since Mawler has jumped in.I have to concur that some of the methods shown are not what the non technical should follow. Ie the use of a piece of sharp metal being shoved into a jet orifice.

I have written this up else where and I have piece on jet sizing that explains why using any kind of metal as a probe in a carb is a NO NO.
If you do decide to use a probe use a piece of nylon fish line far less dangerous to the health of the carbs

I will how ever also say that WELL DONE for the effort of de- demonizing carb dis-assembly and thank you for sharing

Mawler ol' son see you are on form play nicely as an Englishman should :whistle