Fresh Gauge Faces

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Sooty
Site Newbie

Re: Fresh Gauge Faces

Post by Sooty »

I’ve done my own gauge conversion very similar to SquadraCorse, worked out about £10 ($16) for the lot. Took the gauges off and scanned them in to Coral Draw (used Corel Draw as I’m used to it) on the computer.

My FZR is a USA import and came with USA clocks, in the UK most of our speed limits end in a 0 and not a 5. I need reading glasses and the speedo is just the wrong distance away to see what speed I’m doing clearly when riding (Land of the speed camera) which was my main reason for wanting to clean them up.

At the same time I decided to improve the lighting as I do a fair bit of riding at night. Like SquadraCorse I went down the LED string route and placed the LED’s around the top of the clock rim. The only trouble with this, at night it’s like someone shining a torch in your face.

Moving the LED’s below the clock face cured the problem of the torch effect but the original markings were being bled through the new faces (see photo). One good thing was I could tell I’d lined the new faces up correctly and have created a backing disc (still got to fit them though) to blank them out to go with the clock faces on the reverse side.

If you search on EBay you should be able to pick up some sheets of self-adhesive matt vinyl for about 85p ($1) a A4 sheet which you can print with your inkjet printer. Set your printer on photo quality, matt photo paper and if you have the option print in Adobe RGB. I would try and attach to my post the files I created but either I'm missing something or you cant.

ImageImage
Yamaha FZR600
1993 (3HHE) American Import
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

sooty,
nifty but as you say that bleed tho is quite annoying, is it not possible to remove the original markings with avery mild steel wool something like 000 grade perhaps?
Sooty
Site Newbie

Post by Sooty »

I had thought of trying to remove the original printed faces but that would have stopped me from returning the clocks back to normal if I ever wanted to do that. What I have done is produce some blackout discs to fit on the reverse side on the same vinyl as the clock faces. Just big black circles really, not had chance to fit them yet but they should do the job. Probably get round to it next weekend, I'll take some more pictures with the faces off to show everyone how I wired in the LED's strings. If there is a way to upload to the site the files I created for the faces? If there is can someone point the way for me to do so. I've saved them in 3 formats, coral's own format, as PDF (Photoshop) and Autocad the file sizes are all under 200kb so don't take up much room.. For those that are interested you can then modify them at your leisure or just print them as they are. The hardest part of designing them was getting the lines to match up to the correct speed/RPM, with this already done you can be as creative with the faces as you want.
Yamaha FZR600
SquadraCorse
Site Newbie

Post by SquadraCorse »

Very cool man. They look great.

To remove the bleed through effect you could put some black vinyl on the backside of the plastic that makes up the gauge faces. The orange that illuminates the markings on the factory faces is through the plastic, not something that could be rubbed off like you'd imagine it would be. Just blacking it out would probably do the trick.
Camala_Pillion
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Camala_Pillion »

Sooty wrote:. If there is a way to upload to the site the files I created for the faces? If there is can someone point the way for me to do so. I've saved them in 3 formats, coral's own format, as PDF (Photoshop) and Autocad the file sizes are all under 200kb so don't take up much room.. For those that are interested you can then modify them at your leisure or just print them as they are.
Sooty
You load the files to your gallery and then can post links using the URL button on the reply post or pictures of the file drawing using the g2img button on the heading of the text for new message area.
Sooty
Site Newbie

Post by Sooty »

Thanks Camala_Pillion for the pointer on how to upload the files. Uploaded successfully to my gallery but I'm getting this message when I press the g2img button "
Fatal error: Call to undefined method GalleryUnknownItem::getWidth() in /home/fzronline/webapps/htdocs/forum/g2image/g2image.php on line 235". Any ideas?
Yamaha FZR600
Sooty
Site Newbie

Post by Sooty »

I'm sorry but it seems to not like files that aren't photos! Have converted them to JPEGS so should now upload. Remember these are done in European A4 size which is a slightly different size to US Letter. The outside diameter of the gauges should be 79mm. Print a draft copy before going for the finished article.http://fzronline.com/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=24271http://fzronline.com/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=24275
Yamaha FZR600
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Sooty,
Sorry my wife did not realise the forum will only accept pictures in that area, luckily you sussed that :-}
Sooty
Site Newbie

Post by Sooty »

As i can't post the actual files, anyone wanting a copy feel free to PM me with your email address. I'll send them on as an attachment, please let me know which format you would like.
There are 4 formats
CorelDraw - .CDR
PhotoShop - .PDF
Illustrator - .AI
AutoCad - .DWG
Yamaha FZR600
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Sooty wrote:As i can't post the actual files, anyone wanting a copy feel free to PM me with your email address. I'll send them on as an attachment, please let me know which format you would like.
There are 4 formats
CorelDraw - .CDR
PhotoShop - .PDF
Illustrator - .AI
AutoCad - .DWG

Sooty Emailed
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

been beavering away re-learning my autocad skills of 20+ years ago,
I realise that I do need a spare set of clocks to play with.

Anyone?
spicewood515
Site Newbie

Post by spicewood515 »

Any update on the gauge faces? I would like the white faced ones as well.

Thanks, Randy
Previous Bikes Owned: 1975 Honda 400F, 1978 Kawasaki Z1-R, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1983 Suzuki Kantana, 1983 Honda XL185, 1990 Suzuki Kantan 600, 1991 Yamaha FZR600, 1992 Yamaha, FZR600, 1998 Yamaha FZR600.

Working on bring back to life: 1997 FZR600, new paint, new tires, paint exhaust, repairing fairings, Monza Mirrors, Double Bubble, Tapeworks Graphics....last kit they stopped doing business with Yamaha...you get the idea.
old_fogey
Site Newbie

Post by old_fogey »

Sooty wrote:As i can't post the actual files, anyone wanting a copy feel free to PM me with your email address. I'll send them on as an attachment, please let me know which format you would like.
There are 4 formats
CorelDraw - .CDR
PhotoShop - .PDF
Illustrator - .AI
AutoCad - .DWG
Hi Sooty .. I updated a set myself after scanning them in 1200DPI ..
can you send your copy of the ones you did to me? .dwg would work.
I recently bought a 34" US CUTTER machine so I can play around a bit as well.

Thanks!
Tim
tnorris0143@hotmail.com
-----------------
91 FZR 600
94 FZR 600
spicewood515
Site Newbie

Post by spicewood515 »

I got a email, now can't find it.

If you have the files in pdf format send to:

randal@zeecon.com

THANKS!
Previous Bikes Owned: 1975 Honda 400F, 1978 Kawasaki Z1-R, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550, 1983 Suzuki Kantana, 1983 Honda XL185, 1990 Suzuki Kantan 600, 1991 Yamaha FZR600, 1992 Yamaha, FZR600, 1998 Yamaha FZR600.

Working on bring back to life: 1997 FZR600, new paint, new tires, paint exhaust, repairing fairings, Monza Mirrors, Double Bubble, Tapeworks Graphics....last kit they stopped doing business with Yamaha...you get the idea.
az762nato
Site Newbie

Post by az762nato »

if anyone still has the files for these, can you email them to me at jeffrey.hidek AT gmail.com
Thanks!