Another new fzr

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

DJStaticX
Site Newbie

Re: Another new fzr

Post by DJStaticX »

Here is a couple pictures of my first attempt at priming and painting. I just practiced sanding , priming , painting and prep of a extra fairing piece I had laying around. I'm not a professional but it made me want to go and buy the spray guns and paint to attempt to paint it using spray guns and not spray cans.

Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

That looks really good man. So what all did you do to prep the frame?
1990 fzr 600
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

Yeah, I've heard all over about using rust oleum. Lol.it must be the good stuff!
1990 fzr 600
DJStaticX
Site Newbie

Post by DJStaticX »

I just did a 400 grit wet sand on the frame and then used a grease and wax remover to clean it , used a tack cloth to get all the stuff I couldn't get wiping it down. Then I sprayed it with self etching primer which also has a bonding agent in it to make the paint stick better. I did 2 coats of primer. Then I shot it with one light coat of Black Matte and let that dry , doesn't take long. Then shot it with a couple more coats of the black matte and let it dry fairly good and then sat it out in the sun to help drying. You could use a hair dryer at a fair distance also but it has been very hot here so I let it set out and dry for about 24 hours. Then I shot it with matte clear coat , couple of good coats of that , it doesn't take much. You have to really be careful with the clear as it will run easier than the paint will.

Just remember if you rush it you'll make mistakes. The rear tail section I done in a Gun Metal color if you were curious. If your doing plastics I used a Hi Build primer for those and I used 400 and 800 wet sanding on the plastics. You can go up higher in grit but remember you don't have to sand very hard. You just wanna ruff up the old paint and get the lose stuff off or you can fully sand all the old paint off. The high build primer will fill in any small imperfections from sanding. You can also wet sand the primer if you like , just remember you don't need to apply a ton of pressure or you'll end up back down to the surface you just primed and need to do it again. one lesson I learned ... :whistle
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

And what brand paint did you use? All rust oleum? And can I just get it all at like one depot, or Walmart?
I'm thinking of doing the frame and plastics.
1990 fzr 600
DJStaticX
Site Newbie

Post by DJStaticX »

I did use rust olem and I got mine at menard's which is like home depot or lowe's. I believe walmart also carries it also.