FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Re: what rear tire?

Post by haro504 »

mmmmmmmm chicken strips
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

i agree with rage .. after a couple track days im sure u get the balls to try it on the main road because i don't got em yet to try and lean it like that on public roads ..lol but i can imagine what confidence i'd gain after a couple of track days ..
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

manveru wrote:for once i have to agree with shredex, my bt-014's won't let me get rid of all my chicken strips, and i have even hit the exhaust, and scraped the body work on the pavement, scared the shit out of me when i lost traction.
Well, see, when you disregard the tire maker's info....their guidelines for tire fitment...and mind you , they know more about it than all of US combined......

A) the profile will not be as engineered (too wide tire on too narrow rim means tire profile too steep at edge)

B) More rubber means less pounds per square inch of pressure on any given contact patch-which means the tire doesn't heat properly unless run really low on pressure

C) low pressure and too 'round' a profile means the center of the tire will overheat on straight runs, the edges will underheat, and:

D) when the profile is deformed...things like Avon's Variable Belt Density(which allows the tire carcass to be 'softer' out near the edge) can't work they way it's supposed to-at the lean angles it is supposed to work.

E) if your bike grinds hard parts on the street, you either need to check your sag rates, relocate parts(mufflers can almost ALWAYS be mounted higher), or raise the ride height.

Having self-mounted literally HUNDREDS of tires, a bunch on my own, and a bunch on customer's bikes...I can guarantee their is no magic tire pressure number that works for all bikes, or even the same bike with different riders. And also, tires almost always lose a few pounds of pressure in the first few rides. They need to be checked and re-checked...and what they do with that pressure as they heat should be checked as well.

I was instructed about this by a traveling race tire tech from Dunlop, and I've said it before on here, I'll say it again..a great way to get your tire pressure in a very good ballpark is to look at the pressure rise (as a percentage) from cold to hot. For a 150mm tire, that rise should be 10-15% Higher percentages better for sprints-lower percentages for endurance..(but, @ 15%....34psi cold should yield an increase of 5.1psi-or 39.1 hot) AND< the lowest pressure that yields that rise should be used.

I currently run my 150/70 Avon rear at 32psi...the front 110/70 gets run at 30 (cold pressures).

I get to damn close to the edge of the tire with these tires and two sets of Bt014s and I've touched NOTHING on the ground but the left peg feeler, and my toes. I'm into really fast sweeepers, and not into pulling the trigger on exits-but I do it once in a while for the slide...and I still don't grind hard parts doing that.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

manveru wrote:for once i have to agree with shredex
That's very dangerous territory... lol
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

Got some pics and you guys were right...

I can't lean worth a damn.

http://www.roadrashphotos.com/gallery/8 ... 2231_4tjVU

i did scrap my shoe on the one turn...so thats some progress...also bad foot positioning...
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Nice ankles. If I wanna see skin, I'll go look at the "Chicks 'n Bikes" thread. If you're going to remove the chicken strips, then get some frickin proper kit before you remove turkey strips at the same time!

squid
Last edited by DonTZ125 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

DonTZ125 wrote:Nice ankles. If I wanna see skin, I'll go look at the "Chick's 'n Bikes" thread. If you're going to remove the chicken strips, then get some frickin proper kit before you remove turkey strips at the same time!

squid

+1000000
demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

on the plus side, nice pics shred! the bike's looking really good :thumbsup:
1996 FZR 600
Custom exhaust made from R6 header and GSXR600 end pipe
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
Needs paint and on her way to being a streetfighter
Cursed94FZR600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Cursed94FZR600 »

i just got rid of by chicken strips this weekend. i have the Avon storm rear tire and man it was fun getting all the way over to the edge.

but with 3 of the 30 people who started the ride winding up in the ICU, it put a damper on the day.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Do you see how far from the ground your hard parts are?

You muffler is 6 or more inches off the deck and your toe is 3" or 4" in pic #2 and #6 (here).

Quit hugging the inside line-square the corners.

Throw the skateboard shoes away....get booots.......ANY boots are better than that crap.

Scraping your toes isn't all that bad. It's all I try for on the streets-I don't even think about getting the knee down...and done right (with proper footgear) makes a good 'gauge'.

ICU eh? Fat T-shirt boy on the GSXR (and his innocent passenger)?

YOU WILL BE IN ICU if you continue to ride like this without gear.

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

reelrazor wrote:Do you see how far from the ground your hard parts are?

You muffler is 6 or more inches off the deck and your toe is 3" or 4" in pic #2 and #6 (here).

Quit hugging the inside line-square the corners.

Throw the skateboard shoes away....get booots.......ANY boots are better than that crap.

Scraping your toes isn't all that bad. It's all I try for on the streets-I don't even think about getting the knee down...and done right (with proper footgear) makes a good 'gauge'.
yes I see how close they are to the ground...what of it?

square the corners? what do you mean?
I start corners wide and get close to the inside line at the apex.
I make the curves less sharp...they teach that in the MC riding course.

the camera guy was standing at the apex
Cursed94FZR600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Cursed94FZR600 »

i ride with gear when i ride.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

"What of it" - I believe a fundamental part of this thread was your complaint that you couldn't rid yourself of those nasty chicken strips. Well, RR is trying to tell you how to do it.

Get rid of the sneaks; get proper boots. Get a set of surplus army boots, fer cryin out loud. Get your toes up off the pavement; you look like you've deployed your bloody dive brakes. This ain't a John Deere; for serious cornering, the ball of your foot goes on the peg, not the arch.

Squaring off the corner - you've got the right idea for your line, now work on the mechanics; most street riders just kinda roll around the corner. On the approach, sneak a cheek off like you've just broken wind. Brake, then get OFF the brakes. Crack the throttle, then push HARD on the inner clip-on; you may want to push just as hard on the outer footpeg (not so hard the first few times - you may surprise yourself!). Roll on the gas as you get to your desired lean angle, and stop pushing on the bars. The entire time your knees should be clamped to the tank, keeping your weight off the bars. There is absolutely no need at road speed to have your knee down - you'll just f' yourself up trying to get it down!
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

shredex wrote:yes I see how close they are to the ground...what of it?
I said "...how FAR..." They're opposites.

You said in an earlier post: " i can lean. the radious on my tire doesnt allow for no chicken strips. I would literly have to be sliding on the exhaust"

My point is that you prolly have 10°or more of lean before the exhaust is an issue...at least 5°'til your pegs are.

YOUR BRAIN will limit you more than the bike/tires/road will.

You're doing some stuff really well. Your eyes are nicely level and down-road in every shot.

NONE OF US wants to hear you've been hurt, Shred....you are like our collective kid brother. Get yourself a hooptie for transpo and go do some track days.

sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

This will be one of the very few times I'll probably ever really stick up for Shred...

Lay off him guys....

The kid is doing the best he can. He's busy paying off debts, doesn't make that much money, and his bike is his ONLY mode of transportation. At least he's making efforts to become a better rider and not out just being a freeway wheelie pulling squid like a lot of those other assholes that ride I-75. So give him a break. I'm sure he'll get better gear when he can.

In the mean time Shred...be careful and keep learning.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!