dog bones

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: dog bones

Post by shredex »

I just lowered the front of my bike about 2 inches but I dont think im going to lower that back at all. maybe one inch.
I like the way it came out though.
Ill get daylight pics tomorrow.
ratbikesforever
Site Newbie

Post by ratbikesforever »

Reelrazor I was wondering why you did not use thin jamnuts against the large nut welded on these dogbones ?
89 FZR 600 Rat. Paid $500.00 in winter of 08
Since then: Factory Pro emulsion tubes, Factory Pro jetting
520 chain and sprockets 15/48
4.00 x 18 rear wheel
Shinko 006 tires
Kawasaki ZX9 front master cylinder and 2 line braided hoses
R6 VR
Fresh paint on bodywork and wheels
Working on R6 shock and 4 piston brakes
Still a rat but it's fun
Other rides in the stable
2000 DRZ400S 99 KDX220 99 XR100 81 PW50 81 NC50
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

ratbikesforever wrote:Reelrazor I was wondering why you did not use thin jamnuts against the large nut welded on these dogbones ?
You wouldn't need to. Since the dogbones only unscrew from one direction there is no way for them to turn while they are on the bike.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

thatkid wrote:You wouldn't need to. Since the dogbones only unscrew from one direction there is no way for them to turn while they are on the bike.
Correct.

The individual pieces are 'trapped' by the pivot bolts thru each end.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
ratbikesforever
Site Newbie

Post by ratbikesforever »

I was thinking more about the play in the threads working and wearing from the lateral loading and unloading of the suspension.
89 FZR 600 Rat. Paid $500.00 in winter of 08
Since then: Factory Pro emulsion tubes, Factory Pro jetting
520 chain and sprockets 15/48
4.00 x 18 rear wheel
Shinko 006 tires
Kawasaki ZX9 front master cylinder and 2 line braided hoses
R6 VR
Fresh paint on bodywork and wheels
Working on R6 shock and 4 piston brakes
Still a rat but it's fun
Other rides in the stable
2000 DRZ400S 99 KDX220 99 XR100 81 PW50 81 NC50
gmonkey
Site Newbie

Post by gmonkey »

Why do you lower your bikes? Is it to make up for an aftermarket shock or for handling or just for looks? FZR's seem like they're already really low to me. I was on tip-toe to reach the ground with both feet on my CBR600 of the same year but I sit on this thing like it's a park bench. Maybe I should check if a PO lowered it.
98 FZR 600
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

gmonkey wrote:Why do you lower your bikes? Is it to make up for an aftermarket shock or for handling or just for looks? FZR's seem like they're already really low to me. I was on tip-toe to reach the ground with both feet on my CBR600 of the same year but I sit on this thing like it's a park bench. Maybe I should check if a PO lowered it.

Most people are using custom dogbones to raise the tail back up after the install of a newer R6 shock.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

thatkid wrote: Most people are using custom dogbones to raise the tail back up after the install of a newer R6 shock.
:grinnod:

That's why I've just placed an order, These adjustable dogbones are my perfect solution :cheers:

Mal.
dru86
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by dru86 »

BTW, Stock dogbones are 6mm (1/4" is 6.4mm) mild steel that is stamped out for a few cents and there is still gong to be a massive safety factor on those. I'm pretty sure that the dogbones used on the R6, that the R6 swap shock comes from, is the same thickness or only slightly thicker but aluminium. With the adjustable dogbones how about making a set like this? One end is left hand thread and the other is right. This allows for minute adjustments and the dog bones don't have to be removed to do it.
fzr660/400: fzr400 3en1 frame, 3en2 swinger, custom single seat subframe, fzr660 motor conversion, APE adjustable cam gears, full D&D 4-2-1 exhaust, falicon clutch basket, ignitech ignition, R6 front end with tz250 wheel, ohlins shock, storz steering damper, tzr250 rear wheel.

weighs 166kg wet (25kg lighter than my stock fzr600).
yamarossi46
Site Newbie

Post by yamarossi46 »

Bueno, yo con lo que ustedes llaman huesos de perro, no me la jugaría. Es famosa la anécdota hace ya muchos años, que el piloto probador de la Benelli Jarno de 125 cc casi se mató en la prueba para una revista al romperse una bieleta de esa parte del chasis, o sea que....Si yo me quisiera hacer algo regulable haría los extremos con bieletas articuladas macho roscadas de 10 mm y unidas a un tubo roscado en ambos extremos a 10 m.m. pero NO un tubo cualquiera sino tubo de acero si puede ser de cromo molibdeno, con lo cual girando el tubo y luego bloqueando con dos tuercas a cada lado del tubo obtienes la altura deseada. Me horrorizo sólo de pensar que se pueda romper esa pieza en marcha. :yikes:
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

yamarossi46 wrote:Bueno, yo con lo que ustedes llaman huesos de perro, no me la jugaría. Es famosa la anécdota hace ya muchos años, que el piloto probador de la Benelli Jarno de 125 cc casi se mató en la prueba para una revista al romperse una bieleta de esa parte del chasis, o sea que....Si yo me quisiera hacer algo regulable haría los extremos con bieletas articuladas macho roscadas de 10 mm y unidas a un tubo roscado en ambos extremos a 10 m.m. pero NO un tubo cualquiera sino tubo de acero si puede ser de cromo molibdeno, con lo cual girando el tubo y luego bloqueando con dos tuercas a cada lado del tubo obtienes la altura deseada. Me horrorizo sólo de pensar que se pueda romper esa pieza en marcha. :yikes:
Hi
this will have to be translated by Google for you to make sense of it.
Ducati has been using alloy dog bones of the adjustable type for years, I know because i used to cut them in half to adapt them for racing floating brake systems on older style bikes where the original system would actually lock the suspension under heavy braking in a corner when you have your knee down and you need aworking suspension so the rear contact patch does not break free of the track surface.
see half way down the page at :-

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/kgb/yp4.html

Hi,
este tendrá que ser traducido por Google para que usted pueda hacer sentido de ella.
Ducati ha estado usando huesos de aleación de perro del tipo ajustable desde hace años, lo sé porque yo les reduce a la mitad para su adaptación para las carreras de sistemas flotantes de freno en las motos de estilo antiguo en el sistema original en realidad bloquear la suspensión al frenar con fuerza en un esquina cuando se tiene la rodilla hacia abajo y que necesita una suspensión de trabajo por lo que la superficie de contacto posterior no se desprende del conjunto de la superficie de la pista.
ver la mitad inferior de la página en: -

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/kgb/yp4.html
yamarossi46
Site Newbie

Post by yamarossi46 »

Hola, bueno yo he tenido que cambiar los huesos de perro de mi Yam fzr 600, no porque se rompan, pero con los kilómetros los agujeros que van unidos a la bieleta de suspensión, se van haciendo más grandes y la suspensión coge holgura. En mi Yam, estaban casi cuadrados. Conviene revisar.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Hola bien mío tiene 18 mil millas con ellos y hasta ahora no llevan, pero luego el dueño anterior y que son conocidos por hacer controles periódicos de seguridad y mantenimiento regular. Contacto ReelRazor o ThatKid en este Foro para los reemplazos. Cosa que usted podría utilizar aleación T6 de grado o de acero inoxidable si le gusta cosas brillantes.