smoke!

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

desmarat
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

smoke!

Post by desmarat »

so, 92 fzr 600. just rebuilt with new gaskets, rings, and some serious cleaning internally. new emulsion tubes and needles from factory pro, carbs set at 2 3\4 turns out. Black\grey smoke when i blip the throttle. youtube video of it, first start up after rebuild. any ideas? thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LSD_40k ... V9uusw6pQw
92 FZR 600 25,000 miles and fresh rebuild. Painted
YZF forks
YZF swingarm
YZF rear shock
"Chopped" rear end
Custom electronics box (under seat)
Custom seat and rear frame bracing bracket
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: smoke!

Post by thatkid »

I'm not really seeing a lot of smoke in that video and, what I did see, it only seemed to be on high revs. If you haven't actually tuned the bike yet I wouldn't be real concerned. Just turning the mixture screws out to the same setting isn't going to do a whole lot. You need a carb sync and each one adjusted based on header temp. Also, are you sure the jetting is correct? It could just be carbon coming off the headers under hi revs.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
desmarat
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by desmarat »

thats what i hoped, i just put in the emulsion tubes and needles so im sure i need some fine tuning. im not too fluent with tuning carbs so i might have to get them done later on, but local shops want a few hundred to tune. ive looked up some threads on it and setting float height still confuses me. i am a "mechanical minded" kind of person but, carbs are rather bothersome too me.

so, im going to ride and see if its good. think its okay to ride, any chance i could mess anythimg up like it is. theres not too much smoke and it is only at high rpm's, still smells a little rich but a ton better than it was before i rebuilt it. anxious to ride again but dont want to destroy the bike right after rebuilding it.
92 FZR 600 25,000 miles and fresh rebuild. Painted
YZF forks
YZF swingarm
YZF rear shock
"Chopped" rear end
Custom electronics box (under seat)
Custom seat and rear frame bracing bracket
M in KC
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by M in KC »

+1 to what Nate said. You just need to get everything dialed in. When I start my bike after a long times in between usages I will get some smoke out the can until everything is up to operating temp. In my case it's rich exhaust not oil or coolant. I put it on the road and ring its neck and all is good.

You should be fine to ride it. The worst I would imagine is a dead spot or throttle lag at certain roadspeeds/throttle inputs. If you are on a fresh set of pistons and rings make sure to break those in properly. If you got it this far you should be able to sync the carbs once you get the proper tools. If you have improved the bikes performance with everything you have doe to this point, getting the carbs spot on will make it that much more enjoyable to ride.