No spark from coil pack

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Bmansfzr600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

No spark from coil pack

Post by Bmansfzr600 »

Hi all, new to site but not bikes. I recently purchesed a 92 fzr600r. The bike ran when i bought it. Only needed a battery and tune up with a carb clean. Rode it to work 1 day and it wouldnt start when i came out from work. Trailered it home and comenced to diagnosing the problem. I had no spark. Did some research and came to the conclusion that the cdi box was bad. Found a replacement. Still no spark. Checked the clutch and kickstand switches. I have power and they seem to b working. I have power to and from the cdi,r/r and to the coil. But still no spark. Im at a loss as i suck with electrical components. Could the cdi fry my coil packs? Its brand new. My bike is kinda a frankenstein bike. Its had lots of mods to it. I desperatly need some help. Any and all help is greatly appeciated.
Thanks,
Brian
Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything!!!
M in KC
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: No spark from coil pack

Post by M in KC »

Check you run/kill switch. They are a known flakey component on these bikes as the contacts have been known to corrode. Also I'm guessing you tried the start sequence with the trans in neutral as well, and found no joy.?
Bmansfzr600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Bmansfzr600 »

Yeah it was in nuetral. I have tried clutch in/out,kickstand up/down. I replaced the cdi box(thinking that was the prob,it wasnt). I replaced the coil pack ,wires and plugs. Been theu ALL the wiring,checked ALL fuses. Nothin was blown or burnt. Pretty sure its not the run/stop switch cuzz the bike wont turn over with it off. Bike turns over fine. Fuel pump comes on and i have power to everything. Just no spark from coil pack. Im thinking it might be the pick ups next to the stator? The stator works fine tho. I have a hot battery making 12.5 volts and havnt had a problem with the charging system. So what else is left? At my whits end!! Miss my baby. Very depressing to come home everyday to c my bike in pieces in the garage
Thanks. Brian. Once again any and all help or suggestions is greatly appreciated
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

I remember when I dragged my old 600 home. No spark. Turned out to be my pick up coil/stator. Just something I thought to add in addition to what don suggested.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
Bmansfzr600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Bmansfzr600 »

Yeah thats what i am thinking it is. Ive been thru everything else in the system. Im getting ready to check that now. Can u sugest the best way to check it?
Thanks,brian
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Might want to also check the vr flow chart. It has the resistance readings that can help out.

http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=v ... flow_chart
Duane...
Bike:
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
USE THEM!!
Bmansfzr600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Bmansfzr600 »

Thanks i will check. Update tho, upon a much closer inspection i found the wire harness to the pick up/stator coil was totally melted and fused together. Im guessing this is my prob and the pick up is now fried?
Thanks,brian
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

I would say that may at least part of your problem. :whistle
Duane...
Bike:
My Thread
Cage:

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
USE THEM!!
Bmansfzr600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Bmansfzr600 »

Ok new ubdate, checked ohms and have .1-.3. Guess thats the prob. No volt either goin across with engine turnin over
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

The crank sensor puts out an AC signal that is probably <1vac at cranking, so your typical voltmeter won't show much. Clip the burned wires back to clean copper, strip and splice. If it works, put in new connectors. If not, swap the wires, try again. If still nothing, you need a new sensor.
Bmansfzr600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Bmansfzr600 »

Thanks,i apprecite it. I will try that. I did slice the wires together on clean copper to begin with. Mot sure if that helped. Im not sure if i did vdc. I think i did. Not really sure how to use a volt meter. I am good with mechanical just not electrical. Its not my thing no matter how hard i try. I just dont get it. I can read and understand tho
Thanks ,brian
Bmansfzr600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Bmansfzr600 »

Thanks,i apprecite it. I will try that. I did slice the wires together on clean copper to begin with. Mot sure if that helped. Im not sure if i did vdc. I think i did. Not really sure how to use a volt meter. I am good with mechanical just not electrical. Its not my thing no matter how hard i try. I just dont get it. I can read and understand tho
Thanks ,brian
Bmansfzr600
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Bmansfzr600 »

Ok thanks for info. I checked again. Previously i checked vdc. I checked agai (vac) and had .1-.2.). Still no good right?
Thanks,brian
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Remove your stator cover (five? screws)... put your volt/ohm meter on the ohms scale.

Attach one meter lead to the red wire, one meter lead to the black (maybe wrong colors, but the two that are NOT white at the stator connector ) and slowly roll the engine over by hand. As the bumps on the flywheel go past the pickup coil, the meter should swing if the pickup coil is functional.

Correctly, the stator has nothing, ZERO, to do with actual ignition..it is a charging system device only. It is just that the stator assembly is bundled with the pickup coil (ignition sensor) that leads people to incorrectly go down that diagnosis path.

It may seem very semantic of me to point this out, but as you say, you are good with mechanicals, but not so much electrical. If you incorrectly named the connecting rod as the piston and assigned it that function, your mechanical diagnosis would be garbled at least , definetely inefficient.

To be able to diag anything, you must first understand the basic principles by which they operate.

That said, the FZR does NOT have a CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition), It is properly a TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition). They operate completely differently and assuming operation in the way of one for the other will confuse diagnosis quite a lot.

One way you can test your coil packs for function is to put a spark lead on a plug grounded to the frame and then SHUT OFF power. There should be ONE spark as the power is cut. The TCI grounds the primary circuit to induce the secondary coil to spark. (exact opposite of CDI which 'pulses' the coil pack to trigger spark in the secondary)
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor