Oil Fiter Cross Reference

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

AimCOTaco
Site Newbie

Re: Oil Fiter Cross Reference

Post by AimCOTaco »

So to clarify the first post, is there a difference between the 89-90 and 91-on bikes as far as header clearance for the filter?

Post 1 is best list for early motors and post 2 is best list for late motors?

Who can use 2.5 and who can use 3.25 long?

It seems clear that the base is different given that filters that work on the 89-90 leak on the later base. (correct me if I'm wrong here)

I actually just sent Mobil an e-mail as I had more or less decided to pick up an M1-108 as a high end filter likely to fit well and be on the shelf in town...BUT, the mobil 'find mobil products' thingy on their web currently shows no M1-108 at all and it also says there are no filters for sale at stores within 500 miles of me. So per Mobils site I can't buy there filters over the counter in CO and M1-108 does not exist... we'll see what they say but I think I'm off to look for something else.
Sounds like Walmarts not a bad way to go here.... but I just can't....
Thanks!,
Andy
1999 FZR-600
Bunch of 4-wheeled junk...not enough 2-wheeled junk
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

OK , quickly early models do not have spin on filters they have a filter that sits inside an engine casting right behind the bend in the exhaust down pipes.
Later models use spin on oil filters see:-

which is a K & N 1004 on a UK '92 600 (a '91 USA 600 )
Ickis
Site Newbie

Post by Ickis »

The promotive PH4610 has been superseded by the PH4612. For the spin on filters you can go anywhere and request an oil filter that fits a Honda Civic, any year, but if they want specific just say 92'. 600's use the same same filters as Most Hondas, Hyundais, Nissans (cars), Kias and some of the newer 4 cylinder domestics.
92' FZR 600 non EXUP *project bike*
93' CBR 600 F2
jos21802001
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by jos21802001 »

i have an 1989 and would like to get away from the cartige filter and go to a spin on what all do i need to do to make the switch?
1989 fzr 600 candy silver base coat, black frame ,voltage up-grade amoung much more :)
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

jos21802001 wrote:i have an 1989 and would like to get away from the cartige filter and go to a spin on what all do i need to do to make the switch?
This has been covered, try a SEARCH on "oil filter mod" it is not a trivial change .
Bit pushed for time or would have given a URL :-{
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Y_G - unless I'm mis-reading the parts fiche, it is UTTERLY trivial, literally a matter of unbolt the old and bolt up the new.

I've sent the young man a PM commenting that this is a bit of a hijack, and that if he starts a fresh thread I'll send him a parts list and links.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

DonTZ125 wrote:Y_G - unless I'm mis-reading the parts fiche, it is UTTERLY trivial, literally a matter of unbolt the old and bolt up the new.

I've sent the young man a PM commenting that this is a bit of a hijack, and that if he starts a fresh thread I'll send him a parts list and links.
Don,
I seem to remember that there were after market kits to do this and Yamaha bits too BUT I remember reading (on the archive or here) that some grinding was required or you ended up with a leak or some other drama took place. Bit rushed for time but the warning bells were ringing loud about it for some reason & therefor thorough research was required
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

I believe it was the oil COOLER union bolt that needed trimming - I may have mis-spoken in my previous post in this discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=610&p=4708&hilit=ad ... lter#p4708

EDIT - disregard my last; I have a cite from someone who has actually done it, and there IS milling involved. banghead

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8248
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

DonTZ125 wrote:
EDIT - disregard my last; I have a cite from someone who has actually done it, and there IS milling involved. banghead

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8248
Don,
thanks for finding the"fire" that set off those alarm bells of mine , you just have to LOVE THIS LIST :whistle
mossyoakboy
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by mossyoakboy »

R3TARD wrote:the wix 51365 doesnt work on my 600 it looked ok til i crunk the bike and it spewed oil on my headers hard.
The bosch 3300
RRBike just fiy
I run with wix filters on both my cage and 600, my dad also runs them so ive never had a problem with I think you may have had a bad seal or a bad filter which can happen with any brand
Combat Engineers, Shaping the Battlefield one explosion at a time!!

bike: '91 fzr600

cage: '99 f150
hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by hawcer »

I use the Hastings LF113...actually the one I use is labeled "Federated", but it's the same thing. I get them cheap where I work, so I can't complain.

I really dislike the eyesore of a white filter on a silver engine,hanging out there behind the nice black headers. So I have a few ready to go ahead of time that I paint silver to match the engine and they blend right in. This might not be a big deal on a stock bike with full bodywork, but mines stripped down, so every little detail is easily noticeable.
97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750