Regular Maintenance

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

WSM
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Regular Maintenance

Post by WSM »

So, I've just got some general questions to throw out there.

Working with a nearly entirely stock '98 FZR600.
I had the valves done two summers ago before a 18,000 mile ride that summer. So that plus the ~8,000 I've put on it since has me wondering if it's about time for another valve job.
Yes? No?

Overall she runs like a dream for what she's been thru, but I have noticed that when she gets hot she starts to make something of a soft knocking. Not actual knocking, I don't think. (she'll do that if I start her soon after a hot shutdown)
That and there is a little bit of chatter from the clutch, yet no slippage.

So what do you guys think: valve job and clutch while I'm at it, or am I over reacting and make it thru the summer.

I hope to do the work myself, with the help of some other motor buds, beer, and some lawn chairs.

I read up on the wiki, and flipped thru the factory manual, and it seems like these are relatively straight forward jobs.
:tks:
1998 FZR600
All Original, except for a custom saddlebag set up. A machine shop buddy of mine seamlessly fitted two GS bags on the rear end for last summers ride.
30,000+ odo
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Re: Regular Maintenance

Post by pefrey »

It does not hurt to check and that's easy. Adjusting them can be somewhat tricky but as long as you take you time and follow the directions carefully, it too can be easy.
JasonRDfan
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by JasonRDfan »

pefrey wrote:It does not hurt to check and that's easy. Adjusting them can be somewhat tricky but as long as you take you time and follow the directions carefully, it too can be easy.
Exactly what he said, time to check. It's easy enough to do. Check the clutch too. Replacing the friction plates and adjusting is super easy :) I personally wouldn't wait on adjusting the valves over the summer. If they needed done, I'd do them right away. I wouldn't want to take the slightest chance of damaging one.
92 fzr600 Vance & Hines edition, galindo f1 grips, Vance & Hines super sport complete exhaust, oem clutch with Vance & Hines springs, Piaa horn, Hella headlight, Vance & Hines power pak, passenger seat cowl, 07 r6 regulator, ballistic evo2 8 cell, JT 14 tooth sprocket, Joe Florida sportbike multi-color led kit, galindo bar ends,
WSM
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by WSM »

Awesome. Thank's guys.

Any recommendations on clutch plates?

And I always hear people gripping about not having all the shims they need once they've got it open.
Any advice on that part?

Thanks again...
1998 FZR600
All Original, except for a custom saddlebag set up. A machine shop buddy of mine seamlessly fitted two GS bags on the rear end for last summers ride.
30,000+ odo
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

OEM plates will do the job just fine, and for less than aftermarket (unless you find a deal on ebay or something).

The reason people gripe about not having the shims you need is that it's impossible to KNOW what shims you need, until you got it open, taken measurements and done the math.