what forks can i use on my 600

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

fzrbill00
Site Newbie

what forks can i use on my 600

Post by fzrbill00 »

What is a common fork swap for the fzr 600? Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget. The ones I have now are actually bent back 4-5° so that is the reason I need to change them out. I would like to go with a inverted setup but only if it can be done with little Fab work, and keep it under $300(probably not going to happen) if possible.

Bill
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Re: what forks can i use on my 600

Post by fzrbrandon »

You are unlikely to get into a set of USDs for under $300. Besides that, you will likely lose your speedo since they typically do not use mechanical speedo drives. Also, USDs are very often too short resulting in an oftentimes unacceptable change in the bikes geometry. However, there are exceptions to this last point. I want to say that 1st gen R1 forks are one example as such. On top of all that, due to differing sizes, you will need to deal with steering stem / triple clamp issues. There are a few guys around here who have good knowledge in this area. Hopefully, they'll chime in soon.

A quicker, cheaper, and more trouble-free option would be YZF600 forks. They will swap in with no mods and you will be able to retain your mechanical speedo drive. I think the length and offset are the same as stock FZR forks (or very close). The only catch here though is that you will either need to use the YZF wheel OR have spacers made to accommodate the narrower FZR wheel. Note that '97+ forks are fully adjustable and '95/'96 units are preload adjustable only (I think I got that right). Either way, they are both cartridge style which are a bit better than the FZRs old-school damping rod system.

An even cheaper route would be to simply replace your forks with another set of stockers. Honestly, the stock FZR forks are not too bad if you have stiffer springs (rated for your weight), heavier oil, and even emulators if you can spring the extra cash. I happen to have a set that I'm selling (from a bike that I'm parting out). I haven't decided on a selling price yet because I still need to have a look at what they have internally (springs, emulators, etc.). If you're interested, I could open them up to check and, depending on what they have, we could work something out.
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

89 FZR600 - Vance & Hines, DynoJet, Zero Gravity - sold in '91

http://www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 Parts For Sale !!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9971
fzrbill00
Site Newbie

Post by fzrbill00 »

Well this is my first bike so really don't need anything to elaborate. I am interested in the forks you have if the price is right. Don't laugh at me for asking this question but, what are emulators? I've ridden plenty of bikes but never really had to do much work on them.
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

fzrbill00 wrote:Well this is my first bike so really don't need anything to elaborate. I am interested in the forks you have if the price is right. Don't laugh at me for asking this question but, what are emulators? I've ridden plenty of bikes but never really had to do much work on them.
It's cool. Like I said, the stock forks, when set up properly, are fine for normal, everyday riding. Emulators are simply spring-loaded valves that are placed on top of the damping rods (bottom of the fork lowers). They are adjustable (by varying the preload on the little spring that they have) and are used to control damping. They just give a little more adjustability to an otherwise non-adjustable front end.

Here is a link:
http://www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/EMULATORGV.HTML

For the vast majority of riders, proper rate straight-wound springs (instead of progressive) and thicker fork oil (15w or maybe even 20w instead of 10w) will do wonders for the behavior of the FZR front end.

I'll have a look at the ones I have and get back to you. :thumbsup:
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

Burtonrider10022
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Burtonrider10022 »

Whatever you do, don't use forks that "look like" FZR600 forks. Actually check the model code (inside the fender mount bracket). This will save you the headache of trying to figure out why your brakes don't fit. and then having to return the FZR400 forks lol.
1994 FZR600R Molested and rigged by the PO... BUT, I got her cheap, and she runs pretty good so I can't really complain!
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

Burtonrider10022 wrote:Whatever you do, don't use forks that "look like" FZR600 forks.
Don't worry Bill. They're FZR600 forks...
Image Image

Burtonrider10022
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Burtonrider10022 »

Totally was not a jab at you lol.
1994 FZR600R Molested and rigged by the PO... BUT, I got her cheap, and she runs pretty good so I can't really complain!
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

Burtonrider10022 wrote:Totally was not a jab at you lol.
I know. Just don't want the guy to get scared away. :cheers:
Image Image

fzrbill00
Site Newbie

Post by fzrbill00 »

lol Not scared away just broke for the next couple weeks, plus I need to set up a pay pal account. You have other items that i need also, but im not going to commit unless i have cash in my hand to spend.
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

fzrbill00 wrote:lol Not scared away just broke for the next couple weeks, plus I need to set up a pay pal account. You have other items that i need also, but im not going to commit unless i have cash in my hand to spend.
Not a problem. When you're ready to buy some stuff, just let me know. :headbang:
Image Image