grrr, either my battery or vrr is roached....

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

CrazySkullCrusher
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

grrr, either my battery or vrr is roached....

Post by CrazySkullCrusher »

Had to push-start the bike today after stalling it at a red light. Hoping I can get it home on battery power and diagnose tomorrow. Po says VR is new as of 2 weeks ago, battery was purchased last summer and rode on for a season with bad VR. VR looks to be the new style, going to Chase down the grounds tonight and see if that's the issue. Battery is cheap looking lead-acid job from wally world I'm guessing. Anyone know of a gel or agm battery for these bikes? EBay won't find me one.
96 fzr600. R1 body kit.

94 xj600 seca 2: complete upgrade restoration.

73 Honda cb750 four: bored out 178 over (850 cc) street cam, smoothbore carbs, velocity stacks, corbin king-queen seat, 4-1 header with modified megaphone exhaust, dyna-s ignition, too many other mods to mention and still under construction.

72 Suzuki ts90 cci. First bike ever, bone stock and still starts with 2 kicks.
CrazySkullCrusher
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: grrr, either my battery or vrr is roached....

Post by CrazySkullCrusher »

Pulled the battery out of my xj600 and hooked it up, started and tested voltage at 5k rpm right around 14 volts. Off to wally world tomorrow for another battery unless someone has a better idea.
96 fzr600. R1 body kit.

94 xj600 seca 2: complete upgrade restoration.

73 Honda cb750 four: bored out 178 over (850 cc) street cam, smoothbore carbs, velocity stacks, corbin king-queen seat, 4-1 header with modified megaphone exhaust, dyna-s ignition, too many other mods to mention and still under construction.

72 Suzuki ts90 cci. First bike ever, bone stock and still starts with 2 kicks.
AimCOTaco
Site Newbie

Post by AimCOTaco »

BUMP!

Any good choices for an AGM or Gel Cell battery for the FZR600?

My Yuasa is going on 8 or 9 Colorado seasons. Battery minder was able to save it the last couple years but I don't want to torture the charging system and it's not coming back so well this year.

Thanks in advance, Andy
Andy
1999 FZR-600
Bunch of 4-wheeled junk...not enough 2-wheeled junk
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

I can get you a lithium battery, but it'll be a bit more than an AGM battery.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
AimCOTaco
Site Newbie

Replacement Batteries

Post by AimCOTaco »

Dare I ask for a ballpark on the Lifepo4?

Has anyone tried a MotoBatt MB12U? About $71 on amazon, listed as a YB12ALA replacement (my current batt with term adapters).
Also listed for the FZR600 on the motobatt site. I'm leaning toward trying one...
Andy
1999 FZR-600
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Antigravity batteries are 170. Very nice though.

I've used motobatt before but not for the fzr. Their sizing seems to always be just a hair bigger than oem. Otherwise a nice battery.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
DJStaticX
Site Newbie

Re: Replacement Batteries

Post by DJStaticX »

AimCOTaco wrote:Dare I ask for a ballpark on the Lifepo4?

Has anyone tried a MotoBatt MB12U? About $71 on amazon, listed as a YB12ALA replacement (my current batt with term adapters).
Also listed for the FZR600 on the motobatt site. I'm leaning toward trying one...
I use a Motobatt MB12U and have so since last year. No issues so far with it after a year and they have a 2 yr warranty if I remember correctly. Always fired up and you don't need to charge it when it arrives. It is also a sealed battery. I'd recommend it for sure and yes it fits a FZR 600 :thumbsup:
AimCOTaco
Site Newbie

Re: Replacement Battery

Post by AimCOTaco »

Thanks for all the replies. I like the Antigravity a lot from what I've read but I think I'll let the prices fall and the experiences grow for a few years while I run the Motobatt.

I want to go sealed for the bikes sake and cheap for economic sake.

Glad to learn that Li vehicle batteries are coming out though, they would make a nice back country accessory for GPS and camera charging as well I suspect. I've considered rafting with a gel cell but the power density of Li would be ideal.

Ride on!
Andy
1999 FZR-600
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

If you're looking for backcountry charging I would look at goalzero products. Some of the best solar chargers out there.

Also, I'm not sure li batteries will come down much. If you look at AA and AAA lithium batteries they are still stupid expensive. Those came out 10+ years ago.
Do YOU Scopper?