Sticky throttle

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

DJStaticX
Site Newbie

Re: Sticky throttle

Post by DJStaticX »

It's really hard to say without being there to see the condition on the cables , the routing and if they have dried out and just need lubed or the grips or bar end are causing a confilict. You could have to much slack in the cables also which is cause the two cables not to push pull properly. Easy way to check the grip and bar end is just take the bar end off , very simple and see if this changes things. If not see if the grip will slide down a few hairs and then recheck.

I usually only take the cable out of the switch housing and rig it to something so it is straight up and down. I use the poor mans cable lube method. Basically it's a sandwich baggie and I poke a hole in one end and rubber band the bag around where the cable goes into the bag so it doesn't leak. Then fill the baggie with a decent amount of lube and let gravity do it's work. You could just buy a cable luber but then again you said you were trying to save money :deal:

Maybe some pictures would be nice to give a better idea.
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

Ok, I got the screw out and have the little throttle body thing apart. The handle alone turns just fine, so it isn't junk underneath the grip causing it. The wires pull fairly easily grabbing them with my fingers and pulling them. So maybe it was just gunky in the little groove where the handgrip piece goes into. I cleaned it all out and now have ziplock bags taped sealed onto the Cale's hanging full of fluid. Lol. I'm guessing it works it's way into the cable that way? Idk. Ima let gravity work it's magic overnight!
1990 fzr 600
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

The poor mans über idea worked. Filled the fluids today, im charging my battery over night and will crack her tomorrow. :) I'm excited.
1990 fzr 600
DJStaticX
Site Newbie

Post by DJStaticX »

Mrjtnorwood wrote:The poor mans über idea worked. Filled the fluids today, im charging my battery over night and will crack her tomorrow. :) I'm excited.
Good Luck and hopefully she fires up :cheers:
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

She fired right up. :))) I'm like really excited. My gf hates it thou. She doesnt like motorcycles(doesn't like how they're "unsafe") but yeah. I'm solo excited. Tomorrow I'll let her run for a bit. It's a little late now and it's loud in this metal shop it's in!
1990 fzr 600