Died while riding, wouldnt start back up

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

kudjan89
Site Newbie

Re: Died while riding, wouldnt start back up

Post by kudjan89 »

Yes it died on me while riding because the battery drained, with a charged battery the bike runs great with no issues, but no it would not start on the side of the road when it died, I had to bump start it to get it back home.......other then that one time I've never had an issue with the bike, I've been riding I back and forth to work to do my tests on it because that is where all my tools are and not had a problem! I've just got to throw the battery on a trickle charger while I work, until the new vrr comes in
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

An over-volted diode fails closed (the "wire effect" is a comment I came across), an over-amped diode fails open. An open diode means nothing flows, nothing happens; a failed-closed diode means the possibility of AC current in a DC system - ucky. :yuck:

By "culprits" I meant the actual failed components, not the external cause - sorry for the confusion. I agree that a poor connection = resistance = heat, but that's almost always external, not internal.

A failed-closed SCR (yes, Silicon Controlled Rectifier) used as a shunt will recirculate all the current to the stator. This is NOT a deliberate / normal total-loss situation; when you remove the VRR the stator coil circuits are OPEN, so no current flows.

Operating flawlessly - undesired total loss operation is a bit of a stretch, but so long as you're aware and can take steps to work around it ...
kudjan89
Site Newbie

Post by kudjan89 »

Ya I understand what you are saying, and I'm glad it failed the way it did I, because I've heard of these failing and spiking the voltage in the system and wiping out other stuff like the CID box and sensors and costing a high dollar amount of damage, now I just have to wait for the new 5 pin to get here, I've got it all ready to go in.
ramster
Site Newbie

Post by ramster »

DonTZ125 wrote:An over-volted diode fails closed (the "wire effect" is a comment I came across), an over-amped diode fails open. An open diode means nothing flows, nothing happens; a failed-closed diode means the possibility of AC current in a DC system - ucky. :yuck:
What so an Open diode means nothing flows, a closed diode = AC or even DC voltage can pass? I'm confused now. I meant every failed diode I have tested, did NOT allow current flow in either direction.

When my door is closed nothing comes in, if it's open well it's a free for all :grinnod:
You can lead a THIRSTY horse to water, you cant make the THIRSTY horse drink, if it don't drink shoot it.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Heh - isn't English a lovely language?! An open circuit, like an open switch, isn't connected at all points, so no current flows. A closed circuit / closed switch has all the pieces joined, and the magic happens.

The diodes you tested had failed 'open' due to excess current flow through the diode. Where it gets confusing is that this current is a result of a too-high system VOLTAGE. While this voltage is high enough to cause damage to just about every component in the harness, it isn't higher than the diode's voltage rating, so the failure mode is over-current (open) instead of over-voltage (closed / wire effect). Clear as mud? :headscratch:
ramster
Site Newbie

Post by ramster »

DonTZ125 wrote:Heh - isn't English a lovely language?! An open circuit, like an open switch, isn't connected at all points, so no current flows. A closed circuit / closed switch has all the pieces joined, and the magic happens.

The diodes you tested had failed 'open' due to excess current flow through the diode. Where it gets confusing is that this current is a result of a too-high system VOLTAGE. While this voltage is high enough to cause damage to just about every component in the harness, it isn't higher than the diode's voltage rating, so the failure mode is over-current (open) instead of over-voltage (closed / wire effect). Clear as mud? :headscratch:
I got ya now, im no electronics guru. Like you say an Open circuit on wiring means no electrical flow, I thought an open diode meant a working diode. Thanks for the info :cheers:
You can lead a THIRSTY horse to water, you cant make the THIRSTY horse drink, if it don't drink shoot it.