Will not start now :(

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

fizzer6hundred
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Will not start now :(

Post by fizzer6hundred »

I just had my valves adjusted (new plugs) and the idle mixture settings set and synchronized at the shop. Took the bike home and all was good (not great). I seemed to have lost some power but I figured maybe the valves needed to settle into the new position. After 100 miles I started getting hesitation upon blipping the throttle. It seemed like the RPM's needed time to catch up. I decided to check the synchronization. It was close and I fine tuned it in. No change to the hesitation problem.

So then I decided that maybe it was a rich condition causing the problem and I decided to try my hand at the air fuel ratio idle adjust screws. since I do not have a gas analyzer I decided to start from scratch. I gently turned them all in and backed them out 3 turns.

Simple enough. It fired up..

It rant for 5 minutes and was so sensitive to added throttle (choke now off and getting warm) that it wanted to die with any throttle roll even just a little.

Now it wont start.

Pulled plug one and it look partially black (fowled???) cleaned it and put back in.

Adjusted all carbs to 2.5 turns out....

Still cant start the bike.

Any advice? :swear
1994 FZR 600 White/Blue/Yellow. Been stored for several years and had 12K miles on it now. Working to get it back on the road.

Located in Phoenix AZ
fizzer6hundred
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: Will not start now :(

Post by fizzer6hundred »

Bump......

Tearing down my axillary carbs and rebuilding and will put them back...

The gas in Arizona has to be the worst in the world running 10% methanol and harsh detergents.

I am going to be an expert on these carbs in a few more days.....I have the set in my spare bedroom getting ready to ultrasonically clean all the jets and jet post holders.

This set I used some permagasket to help seal the original gaskets...I am too cheap to spend $100 on a new set
1994 FZR 600 White/Blue/Yellow. Been stored for several years and had 12K miles on it now. Working to get it back on the road.

Located in Phoenix AZ
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I would take the bike back to the shop and tell them to fix it.... unless you didn't pay anything.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
lamer
Site Newbie

Post by lamer »

Agreed

But print this out and make sure they read it (you should also read it) http://fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?id=no_spark_now_what
Most things can be fixed "stupid" is unfortunately beyond repair
fizzer6hundred
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fizzer6hundred »

Spark not an issue. Sprayed carb cleaner (like starting fluid) in the carb throats and if fired up. But its will not take choke or throttle and then dies and fowls the plugs. Looks like my enriching circuit it way to rich. I am going to have to clean the plugs and go 1.5 turns out to a more lean setting to see if its that. I am still tearing down my original carbs and just striped the head on the dam pilot jet trying to get it out. That soft brass is a bitch, I am soaking in penetrating fluid now...should have done this the first time :swear

Located in Phoenix AZ
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Turning the IMS (idle mixture screws) OUT will make it more rich. Turning them IN will lean it out.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
fizzer6hundred
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fizzer6hundred »

All pilots are out. Lots of FUN! At least I now have a fuel injected RC51 to ride......... :rofl: Hey who uses a gas analyzer for their tuning? Which one do you use? I am putting back the stock exhaust headers with threaded bungle bolts so i can insert some sort of probe (just don't know what the options are for that).

Picture of all the fun........

Located in Phoenix AZ
lamer
Site Newbie

Post by lamer »

fizzer6hundred wrote:Spark not an issue.
Sorry but I see no mention of you inspecting the ignition system other than "(new plugs)" I do recall your old posts, Blaming fiddling with the carbs. You have made mistakes.

UNLESS the ignition system and compression is close to 100% you can adjust your carbs until your BLUE in the face, sounds kinda like what your doing
fizzer6hundred
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fizzer6hundred »

Yea it did seem kinda harsh to me.

Your right I did not inspect the ignition system. Not sure of a good way to do that. Any help would be appreciated. I would like to make sure that is in working order. I did not think this to be an issue because the bike did run so well and does fire up when coaxed BUT that I know does NOT clear the ignition system if there is a problem that just developed. Also after discussing this with my mechanic this is procedure he recommended. I thought I would rebuild my spar carb. set (the original ones that came with the bike) and try them to see if I have the same problem. you see this has all happened before with the original set. the bike sat for a few months and it would not hold an idle. Fuel problem I thought. And no never checked the electronics. I tore the carbs down twice and had idel problems. Probably a pilot passage way issue but never confirmed. Thought I could take it into the shop and have them charge me at least $100 to just diagnose this OR I could buy as set of carbs on ebay take my chances and put them on and see if the problem changes. Bought a clean looking set for ~$100 9still had the factory caps on the air/fule mixture screws. Put them on am it ran GREAT. It ran great for a year and then took the bike in to get the valves adjusted and brought it home ran well (not quite as good as I had it) thought the valve job needed time to set. Bought another bike and this one sate for a month. Then I started having throttle response lag (like it was too rich) and bog when blipping the throttle. whereupon I checked the synchronization with a Carbtune synchronizer. It looked good. So to make a long story short I thought it would be a simple exercise to adjust the air fuel mix back to the factory setting (3 turns out) to see if I could bring it in and see if that would help BEFORE I bring it to the shop and waste more money. Have I made mistakes sure. Will I make them again yes. I try and learn from my mistakes and am not afraid to work on my bike and enjoy the time in my shade tree garage.

Now I have a question, I have taken off the V&H exhaust and am putting the stock header back on. It has air/fule lambda sensor threaded bungs too small for the likes of an O2 sensor like the Innovate LM-1 what if anyone is using these port to measure this or are you only using a laser thermometer to look at chamber temp equalization?

Thanks,
STM

Located in Phoenix AZ
lamer
Site Newbie

Post by lamer »

fizzer6hundred wrote:Your right I did not inspect the ignition system. Not sure of a good way to do that.
There's a good read on how to test your ignition system its in the workshop manual, you could scroll up and read a far better comprehensive version
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

fizzer6hundred wrote:I suppose with help like yours lamer this site will die off pretty fast.....I doubt I will be seeking help here again and dealing with people like you.
You are correct. I wish we had more control over the "lamers" - all I can do is ban him for now. Sorry that we allow pricks to create accounts here - they're hard to stop.