Tires

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

neeko
Site Newbie

Tires

Post by neeko »

I did a little search here but didnt find quite what I was looking for.
97 FZR 600
What would be the cheapest tire?
What would be the best tire?
What would be the best value for a tire?

What does it cost to mount it typically?

Thanks for your help. This is all opinion so please offer it all up there.

Also is there a website that has cheaper parts?
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: Tires

Post by Gizzard1533 »

so many tyres out there its hard to give a specific one and tyres are mostly on the riders preference, and theres even big differences between 2 models of tyres by the same make. Tyres are also horses for causes, do you do a lot of straight miles or do you like to have the bike cranked over 24/7??? If you do straight miles you'd want a dual compound tyre with the harder wearing middle but you use it for sunday fun the its not necessary to have the harder middle.
What tires do you have on the bike now?
How do you find the tyres?
If you like them could you not stick with those tyres?

I currently run bridgestone battleaxe bt010 on mine unfortunately there now a delisted tyre so im gonna be going through this same situation when my bike goes back on the road may (tyres would of dried out by then) i've heard good things about maxxis but then i've heard bad things as well. Tyres are really a personal choice, so no one can really give you advice on what you'd like you have to try them out and learn about tyres that way. Look at bridgestone battleaxe bt090 or 020 i've heard good things about them.
cowboi
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by cowboi »

http://www.kneedraggers.com/ or http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

i have bought tires from both of them as my favorites are dunlop but went with the bridgestone battleax bt 14 and bt 16 this last time.

like Gizzard said " so many tires out there its hard to give a specific one and tires are mostly on the riders preference "
When all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth......S.Holmes

78 CB750A
96 FZR600R
00 YZF R1
04 YZF R6
neeko
Site Newbie

Post by neeko »

i mainly will be driving this to work on a freeway in AZ. The summer heat can really tear a tire up. I drive to work about 15-20 minutes away. I am beginner rider so safety would be of the utmost importance.
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

neeko wrote:i mainly will be driving this to work on a freeway in AZ. The summer heat can really tear a tire up. I drive to work about 15-20 minutes away. I am beginner rider so safety would be of the utmost importance.
All the tyres on the market will keep you safe, just some better than the others. if you use it for straight riding mainly, get yourself a dual compound tyre mate, the harder compound centre will allow for more miles between tyre changes. bridgestone or dunlop would be best bet mate.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Actually, you have very few choices in tires if you have the stock 18" rear rim. Most manufacturers have stopped producing 140 and 150 widths with an 18" rim.

Cheapest tire in America is the Shinko brand of tire.
The best tire (available for the FZR600 [US]) is probably the Avon AV56? The Bridgestone BT-016 is also an excellent choice.
The best value would be either of the aforementioned.

Typically, the cost for mounting is $20-50, per rim, if you have the rims off the bike already. Check Craigslist for local people who own a No-Mar tire changer. They might do it for less and not scratch your rims. These are usually guys who race or run track days and know how to change tires. (Shamless plug for No-Mar, but they always changed my tires for free since I live in St. Louis and was a part of MCRA. Excellent company.)

Cheapest place for OEM parts in the states if RonAyers.com. They have always been the cheapest when you factor in shipping costs.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Forum members are also a good source for parts.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."