Speedometer

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

neeko
Site Newbie

Speedometer

Post by neeko »

The speedometer and odometer both do not work. The other gauges work though. I have the cable connected to the wheel. Does anyone know how I diagnose this one?
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Re: Speedometer

Post by zero9243 »

those are both cable driven (mechanically, not electrically) so it could be a couple things. The cable could be broken inside, the gearing inside of the gauge cluster could be bad, or your speed drive that sits in the wheel could be broken.

edit: you can attach a drill to the end of the cable at the wheel and see if it shows anything on the cluster to test part of the system.
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

neeko
Site Newbie

Post by neeko »

how do you attach a drill to that?/
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

JUst unscrew teh speedo drive at the wheel AND at the guages.

Hold one end of the inner cable with one hand, and twist it at the other....does the whole thing twist?

If yes, I would look at the speedo drive inteh front wheel.

Sometimes when the wheel is installed, the speedo drive in the wheel won't be properly aligned and will get bent so that it cannot drive the actual cable drive mechanism.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
brcree
Site Newbie

Post by brcree »

Can I add something here?...in the past when I have tried to use a drill I found you need to run the drill backwards to get the speedo to work, may want to try this.
90 fzr 600 former track bike put back on the street / 09 gsxr 600 / 81 Yamaha xs 1100 / 82 Suzuki gs 650g / Honda 07 VTX. You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.......
neeko
Site Newbie

Post by neeko »

I figured it out. There is no inner cable to begin with. Where do I buy that cable, how long should it be? Are there any good places to get what appears to be three or four feet of steel cable?

Thanks as always for the help!

-Nic
Gizzard1533
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Gizzard1533 »

just buy a brand new speedo cable it comes as one unit and would probably be just as cheap as the steel cable, look on fleabay for the speedo cable usually about 10 quid.
neeko
Site Newbie

Post by neeko »

good lord this website rocks!!!!!!!!