No spark on #2 or # 3 cylinder - baffled

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

vmaxmike
Site Newbie

No spark on #2 or # 3 cylinder - baffled

Post by vmaxmike »

Bike was running fine a week ago. Now its only hitting on 1 & 4 cylinders when I started it today. (#2 and #3 exhaust pipes were not getting hot with motor running). I immediately thought ignition coil for 2/3 cylinder but the ohms reading (primary & secondary) checked out good within specs, in fact readings were same as coil for 1/4 cyl. Resistance on spark plug caps is good too. I switched out the Digital ignitor unit with a good tested spare one I had and same thing, no spark on 2/3. Any ideas on what else might be causing this?Image
racerd14666
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: No spark on #2 or # 3 cylinder - baffled

Post by racerd14666 »

did u check for voltage at the coil leads? and the wiring to and from the tci box to the coils?
Yamaha Certified Technician

But i also work on Ducati's Bmw's Moto Guzzi's and Mv Agusta's Ect.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Swap the connector leads to the coils. If the spark stays on the same plugs, it's the coils / leads / caps. If the spark hops to the other plug, the coil driver transistor in the TCI has failed.
olie05
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by olie05 »

I'm sure Don implied this but make sure you swap the spark plug leads to the correct cylinders along with the connector leads.
lamer
Site Newbie

Post by lamer »

olie05 wrote:I'm sure Don implied this but make sure you swap the spark plug leads to the correct cylinders along with the connector leads.
I think Don understood that vmaxmike was physically looking @ the plugs (removed) for a spark, not trying to run the bike.
Most things can be fixed "stupid" is unfortunately beyond repair
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Nah, I can see someone forgetting to swap their LT connectors back, then wondering why it runs worse than before ... :drink:
vmaxmike
Site Newbie

Post by vmaxmike »

crazy thing was after messing with the Caps and reseating the wires, 1 &4 stopped firing and 2 & 3 were good??!! So I checked for voltage at the coil leads and voltage was present on both. Long story short, it turned out to be bad plugs. I had'nt figured on this since they had less than 350 miles on them. Popped in new NGk's and it fired right up, running like a champ now. :duh:
olie05
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by olie05 »

This reminds me... It's about time for me to change my plugs. Glad you found the problem!
racerd14666
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by racerd14666 »

spark plugs dont go bad on there own, so i would take a peek at the carbs and clean / re jet as needed to solve the real problem
Yamaha Certified Technician

But i also work on Ducati's Bmw's Moto Guzzi's and Mv Agusta's Ect.
vmaxmike
Site Newbie

Post by vmaxmike »

yes, my thoughts exactly...otherwise same thing will likely happen again. Thanks