pick up coil

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

deathcomesarippin
Site Newbie

pick up coil

Post by deathcomesarippin »

anybody know where to buy one, I belive mine has gone bad, im barely getting a reading from my voltmeter out of the pickup coil wire when im turning the bike over. Is there a way to clean it out good, it did have an oil leak in there before, but I checked on bikebandit I cant purchase that exact part.
modded air box,
K&N drop in,
race tech fork springs,
R6 header-kerker exhuast,
things to come, 520 conversion, jet kit, yzf front brake calibers
lamer
Site Newbie

Re: pick up coil

Post by lamer »

deathcomesarippin wrote:anybody know where to buy one, I belive mine has gone bad, im barely getting a reading from my voltmeter out of the pickup coil wire when im turning the bike over. Is there a way to clean it out good, it did have an oil leak in there before, but I checked on bikebandit I cant purchase that exact part.
Does the bike run? I ask because the pick up coil sends a pulse (low voltage) to the TCI. The correct method of testing the Pick up coil follows, Bike not running btw.

1. with an Ohm meter or dmm set @ 200 ohms, your looking for 80 - 120 ohms on the pick up coil, if the resistance is within spec.

2. Test both wires on the pick up coil for continuity to ground, your looking for infinite ohms (no short to ground).

3. If all of the above pass, ensure there is no rust or other foreign objects (metal fillings oil, water) lodged on there.

Sorry to inform you but, the pick up coil is not sold separately, it's only available when purchasing a stator. :swear
Most things can be fixed "stupid" is unfortunately beyond repair
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

+1 to cleaning the coil; this is a magnetic pulser, and anything iron will do foolish things to the signal.

Bear in mind when attempting to measure the output of the signal coil that 1) the signal produced is AC, not DC, and 2) the voltage produced at cranking is VERY low, perhaps a few hundred millivolts. You also mentioned that you are measuring "the pickup wire" - this is a closed-loop AC circuit, and you need to measure across both wires together.
deathcomesarippin
Site Newbie

Post by deathcomesarippin »

I have tested it ill try it again on ac to make sure. I just hold ohm meter ends to the end of the wire of the pickup coil, with the bike turned on I get nothing and when I turned it over it only jumped around 9 10 and 12, like I said ill try it again today. I did have a oil leak in there ill clean it off real good, but I cant get the stupid thing off, the screw it stripped so I can only get to that small open metal part at the bottom.
modded air box,
K&N drop in,
race tech fork springs,
R6 header-kerker exhuast,
things to come, 520 conversion, jet kit, yzf front brake calibers