FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

old_school
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: I think i got the shaft

Post by old_school »

thatkid wrote:You can buy a frame with a title and swap everything over

I was just gonna suggest the same thing except slightly different. In my state no inspection is required. Buy the frame with title and just register it. I was planning on doing a similar thing with a ducati with a similar story. Eventually I would get around to flipping it over but I would want to enjoy it ASAP.
NO FZR :(
05 Yamaha R1
03 Harley Fatboy
what's next?
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

old_school wrote:
thatkid wrote:You can buy a frame with a title and swap everything over

I was just gonna suggest the same thing except slightly different. In my state no inspection is required. Buy the frame with title and just register it. I was planning on doing a similar thing with a ducati with a similar story. Eventually I would get around to flipping it over but I would want to enjoy it ASAP.
:yikes: bonkonhead that is just a BAD IDEA...do not do it because at that point you do not own the bike you are riding, you would not have insurance for the bike your riding and you would be riding on a false registration. now i know enough to know that in any state in the us you can have your bike impounded for that kind of combo and possibly go to jail in the right states. plus the false registration is not a traffic violation its a misdemeanor crime. bonkonhead
89 fzr 600
CJD
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by CJD »

In this country buying any vehicle without a Title (Vehicle registration document) is not only Stupid, but your probably buying a Ringer (Stolen Vehicle).

All I see is people trying to help you out, after your very Stupid purchase. Personally Id cut my losses. Hope you have learnt an expensive lesson a by stupid mistake, It's up to you how you deal with it your choice.

Think of it this way you got took for $750, could have been a lot more. I'm sure you will never make the same mistake again, There's the value.

Good luck whatever happens.

Edit:

I must add: you appear to be a trustworthy/law abiding person.

People think others are as they are, Trustworthy. This is what crooks play on. When buying anything don't assume the seller is like you (Trustworthy) assume they are a rip off merchant. If all don't appear to be good, then it's prolly not
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

CJD wrote:In this country buying any vehicle without a Title (Vehicle registration document) is not only Stupid, but your probably buying a Ringer (Stolen Vehicle).

All I see is people trying to help you out, after your very Stupid purchase. Personally Id cut my losses. Hope you have learnt an expensive lesson a by stupid mistake, It's up to you how you deal with it your choice.

Think of it this way you got took for $750, could have been a lot more. I'm sure you will never make the same mistake again, There's the value.

i dont even know what to say. yes i should have waited but i didnt, thats done and over. did you read the full post because like it says in the in the very first post i didnt give him $750 i gave him $500 i refused to give him more than $500 which in my estimation is not actually all that bad for a parts bike if that is what it would have come down to, and the bike also was not stolen (also stated in first post). and last of all if you seriously commented on this post just to tell me that i am stupid, you really really need a life.
89 fzr 600
CJD
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by CJD »

fingers wrote:
CJD wrote:In this country buying any vehicle without a Title (Vehicle registration document) is not only Stupid, but your probably buying a Ringer (Stolen Vehicle).

i dont even know what to say. yes i should have waited but i didnt, thats done and over. did you read the full post because like it says in the in the very first post i didnt give him $750 i gave him $500 i refused to give him more than $500 which in my estimation is not actually all that bad for a parts bike if that is what it would have come down to, and the bike also was not stolen (also stated in first post). and last of all if you seriously commented on this post just to tell me that i am stupid, you really really need a life.
OK i guess we should all "get a life" good luck in your future life, I hope you have learnt from a STUPID mistake, not saying your stupid only that everyone makes stupid mistakes at sometime in their life

Bye and GL

Edit Your first post:
fingers wrote:So here's the deal i bought this bike 3 weeks ago, the bike was a great deal :deal: which i should have known to stay clear of. The P/O wanted $750 for the bike and all that was wrong was it was missing was the peanut cover. well that and the wiring but i didnt know that at the time.the big problem was that he did not have title in hand,(i know i know i should have walked away :Kick). The P/O said he couldnt find it so he would have to go get a duplicate title. Ok so i agreed to the $750 and made a deal that i gave him $500 then and another $250 when i got the title. Well a week went by and i called him and he said he had not gotten around to it yet. After another week i was informed that the bike was not even in his name and that he got it from the brother of the guy who bought it from the last legal owner. So i am 4th generation screwed over. i know that this bike was never reported stolen because i checked the vin number with the local police. my real question here is (since i have about $1000 into this bike now) should i just part this bike out and try to be screwed over less or is there any way to actually get a title so i can ride this bad ass bike.
Sorry for my uneducated comments. BUT do the local police know of ALL stolen vehicles in all the 50 States?

Is not parting out a possibly stolen vehicle a felony? you tell me. :yikes: bonkonhead
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

wow you dont give up on the stolen vehicle crap do you? no the police do not know about every one but later on in the thread it says i went to the dmv. there is two points of contact with state authorities. and yes parting out a stolen vehicle is a felony however there are stipulations like if the police tell you that it is not stolen than you are not knowingly selling stolen property. you see here in the US our justice system says there must be actus reus(which is the act of commiting a crime) and mens rea(which is the forethought and intent of committing a crime). Now after you ask the police about a stolen vehicle and they tell you no its not, than there is no possibility of mens rea (unless you are the one that stole the vehicle or know who did steal it of coarse).
89 fzr 600
CJD
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by CJD »

fingers wrote:wow you dont give up on the stolen vehicle crap do you? no the police do not know about every one but later on in the thread it says i went to the dmv. there is two points of contact with state authorities. and yes parting out a stolen vehicle is a felony however there are stipulations like if the police tell you that it is not stolen than you are not knowingly selling stolen property. you see here in the US our justice system says there must be actus reus(which is the act of commiting a crime) and mens rea(which is the forethought and intent of committing a crime). Now after you ask the police about a stolen vehicle and they tell you no its not, than there is no possibility of mens rea (unless you are the one that stole the vehicle or know who did steal it of coarse).
I now doubt your trustworthiness. Learn some grammer, more so why would anyone disrespect trusted members trying giving them sound/legal advice? a thief?

You know alot about the law for criminals. I think any biker should have his pride and joy if stolen returned
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

1. I know the laws due to 3 years (so far) of college in criminal justice. I have 1 year left before I go to the police academy.
2. Who says your trustworthy? Or as you said "a trusted member" :headscratch: . You have 34 post including the ones thus far in this thread. I am not saying your not, but i dont know you from Adam. Your location says Scotland and your claiming to know American law.
3. I did not take that as trying to give me sound legal advise. I took that as an accusation that i was attempting to commit a felony. Which you just called me a thief so.
4. Did i ever say i was going to part it out? No i did not. If this bike turns out to be legitimately stolen then yes i will help that owner recover his stolen property. Furthermore i will gladly help the police take down every person that participated in that sale of the stolen property.
5. If you did not notice i even asked someone else why i would "take down" and innocent person(the last legal owner).
6. Either way this turns out i will be informing the department of motor vehicle about the 3 people how jumped titles because that is a crime as well.
7. Read closer to the top of this page and you will notice i refused another members illegal activity, and told him the error of his ways.
8. I apologize if i have offended you in someway or if you misunderstood my intentions because i made them unclear. :cheers:
89 fzr 600
CJD
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by CJD »

fingers wrote:1. I know the laws due to 3 years (so far) of college in criminal justice. I have 1 year left before I go to the police academy.
2. Who says your trustworthy? Or as you said "a trusted member" :headscratch: . You have 34 post including the ones thus far in this thread. I am not saying your not, but i dont know you from Adam. Your location says Scotland and your claiming to know American law.
Hmm... yes I believe every word. If you know the laws, why ask here?

I didn't say that I WAS TRUSTWORTHY with my 34 posts, I meant other respected proven members... You SIR are obviously well educated, and in no need of my advice nor anyone's, please feel free with your law school education, and your future police career to educate me. You got off to a great start. Buying a Bike well.. really a piece of junk.

KEEP up the law school education it's very obviously great education, I just wish we had police here in the UK that have your proven education/intelligence :rofl:

IF you don't realise then im not saying, after all your a future is law enforcement officer :duh:

SRRY I just couldn't resist :Kick
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

im not sure if you realize this, but criminal law, and procedures on how to get a title are not the same thing.
and sorry i just cant resist telling you to go f*** yourself cause your just being ignorant.
89 fzr 600
old_school
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by old_school »

Ok. This completely went out of control. Let's keep the conversations productive and on topic.
05 Yamaha R1
03 Harley Fatboy
what's next?
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

old_school wrote:Ok. This completely went out of control. Let's keep the conversations productive and on topic.
Agreed but some people make you wanna banghead so old_school did you take my advise and give up your wicked ways lol ( wrong title with the bike)?
89 fzr 600
old_school
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by old_school »

I'm still undecided on the bike. It's been sitting at a friends house for a few years and needs some work. It would be a great track bike or a nice winter project. In the long run the path will be to go down the same path you are. Looking for a frame and clear title doing a swap. nJ laws sound far more lenient than MO. As long as you have a bill of sale and reasonable good faith the bike is truly owned by the seller they won't give you grief. (from a theft standpoint but they still aren't giving you a title you can register)
05 Yamaha R1
03 Harley Fatboy
what's next?
fingers
Site Newbie

Post by fingers »

it sux to be in this position. but i have decided that if for some reason i can not get a title i am going to build a street legal dune buggy out of the bike. because at least here if you make a dune buggy you can get it licensed :D and then i suppose ill buy this gsxr a buddy has (i have already seen the title for it).

p.s. i wish i could get lucky like GAN-MAN who apparently got a bike with the title givin to him.
89 fzr 600
old_school
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by old_school »

That'll be a cool build thread. :cheers:
05 Yamaha R1
03 Harley Fatboy
what's next?