Non-Responsive Clutch

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

aadam8698
Site Newbie

Non-Responsive Clutch

Post by aadam8698 »

My bike: 1990 FZR 600, 10K miles, Location: South Carolina

Problem: Clutch won't engage. Cable is fine, Pulled the sprocket cover and everything seems to be fine. I'm new to motorcycles and don't know what to look for next. Any advice/pointers would be greatly appreciated. If more information is needed, I'm glad to provide what I can.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Re: Non-Responsive Clutch

Post by Freestyle72 »

sprocket cover has a rubber plug you can pull to do the coarse adjustments to the clutch push rod. Becareful with this don't try to force it. I did on mine and it broke. I had to go get it welded. Cost me 8 beers dammit.
aadam8698
Site Newbie

Post by aadam8698 »

Should this rod connect from the sprocket cover into the transmission? If so, mine is broken. How would I remove it to weld it?
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

aadam8698 wrote:Should this rod connect from the sprocket cover into the transmission? If so, mine is broken. How would I remove it to weld it?

No.

It pushes on a pair of rods which project thru the transmission countershaft. These 'lift' the pressure plate off the clutch pack-disengaging the engine from the driveline.

Did this ever work?

Mayeb the previous owner put the pressure plate on wrong..it will fit five different ways, only ONE will allow the clutch to work.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
aadam8698
Site Newbie

Post by aadam8698 »

Everything was working. Went to downshift while turning onto my street and the clutch lever went slack. I figured the cable popped, but everything seems to be in order. I was able to downshift from 4th to 2nd, sans clutch, and limp home. Now the bike is sitting in the driveway in second gear. I've got no clue what to do.
apsolus
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by apsolus »

pull the clutch cover off and see if your clutches are still together.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

There are only two components I can think of in the clutch that can fail that spontaneously, and that's the cable (checked) and the hub; if a spring bolt socket suddenly pulled out, you've suddenly lost all clamping force across that sector, and others are likely to pull out as well.

This will need a bit of a tear-down. Pull the sprocket cover and check the throw-out mechanism and cable, then like Apsolus said, pull the clutch cover and check the internal parts.
aadam8698
Site Newbie

Post by aadam8698 »

I'll check these out tomorrow. I can't thank everyone enough. I'm new to bikes and a forum like this is the only way to keep an older bike like mine affordable for me. I'll continue to check threads and help out where I can. You guys are awesome!
Kaboom
Site Newbie

Post by Kaboom »

there's also a chance that the clutch pushrod has snapped, and the outer piece got ejected out of the sprocket cover. When you remove the sprocket cover, does the pushrod extend all the way from the tranny case to the mechanism that's rotated by the clutch cable? If not, and its flush (or almost) with the case or shows no resistance when you push it in with your hand, you very well might have a snapped rod...