FZR600 runs hot when left idling?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Steve Theodore
Site Newbie

FZR600 runs hot when left idling?

Post by Steve Theodore »

Please pardon the silly newb question as I just got my 1992 FZR600, but I've noticed if I leave the bike stationary while idling (after warmed up) that the temperature gauge does climb steadily through the range. As soon as I start to ride again, the temperature gauge goes back down to much more reasonable (according the OEM gauge) levels. Is this normal behavior or should I suspect an issue? This is my very first motorcycle by the way, so I don't have any frame of reference for the behavior. Thanks!

:yutugh2:
drowningxinxair
Site Newbie

Re: FZR600 runs hot when left idling?

Post by drowningxinxair »

i'm not a huge bike expert, but while stationary there is no air moving through the radiator to help cool the engine. When you start moving the air flows through the front of the bike and to the inside to help cool everything off. Is the temperature going all the way up to the red zone? If not I wouldn't worry about it, it's normal for bike to heat up while stationary. there should be a fan that comes on at some point to keep the temprature from raising into the red zone (on the gauge). So if it IS going that high, the fan is the most likely culprit =)
Steve Theodore
Site Newbie

Post by Steve Theodore »

Thanks for the information. It didn't reach the red zone, but I'll continue to watch this as it definitely caught me by surprise...so I want to be conscious of it. :grinnod:
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

Totally normal. The fan should come on about 3/4 or a little more up the guage. You'll hear it. And if you are sitting on the bike you will more than likely feel the hot air moving. There is a write up on the WIKI for a manual fan switch, if you so choose to do so.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
Steve Theodore
Site Newbie

Post by Steve Theodore »

Awesome, thanks a lot for the additional information Chris.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Steve Theodore wrote:Is this normal behavior or should I suspect an issue?
It's normal for the FZR. IMO, the stock radiator was not adequate. I run Water Wetter in the summer and a coolant mix in the winter.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

kilika2 wrote:Totally normal. The fan should come on about 3/4 or a little more up the guage. You'll hear it. And if you are sitting on the bike you will more than likely feel the hot air moving. There is a write up on the WIKI for a manual fan switch, if you so choose to do so.

Chris.
Absolutely spot on