Dash lights suck!

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

bboystyleus
Site Newbie

Dash lights suck!

Post by bboystyleus »

I need some help, my tach, speedo and temp lights wont go on at all, although I replaced it with the right bulbs from the dealer. Where it gets weird is that the other lights do work like the neutral, oil, blinkers and such. I made sure the connection that goes to the main wire was pushed fully in and all and I am just getting stressed out trying to figure it out.

This is my first bike ever and this little problem has been holding me back from riding it since it is crucial to check the speed at night. someone please hep a first time rider.

update: so I think I have found the location of the problem by looking at this diagram, I have circled where I think it might be it it is the only logical explanation.

Does anyone have a suggestion on what should I do now? clean connections but with what or maybe just replace wires?
bboystyleus
Site Newbie

Re: Dash lights suck!

Post by bboystyleus »

SO I did some crazy experiments and realized that the wire that the bulbs are attached to work quite well. so somewhere between the black dotted blue cable to when it connects to the solid blue cable is there problem I dont know how to advance from here I am thinking of cutting the black dotted cable and connecting it to the blue cable by just twisting them together and covering it with tape. although I am afraid if I do cut it and connect them that it still wont work which means it is somewhere deeper in the cable probably where it splits wit the turn signal. I will stop working it for tonight and I will tell you what happens tomorrow.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Dash lights suck!

Post by yamaha_george »

Hi,
'fraid to say that your logic is Flawed.
Looking at the diagram you provided the Signal,oil & neutral lights have nothing in common with the instrument bulbs.

To make a light work you need not only a voltage but a ground also .not only do the ins. lights have a common source but also a common ground.
It has been my experience that ground wires corrode where they go to the frame and that is where I would be looking.

The proof of what is what is to slap a voltmeter on the wires in question and see what you get, my bet is you will get your 12V on the blue wire if you put the other meter lead on the frame.

Get back to us and let us know:-}