anybody ever used a veypor or acewell gauge?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

89fzr600rr
Site Newbie

anybody ever used a veypor or acewell gauge?

Post by 89fzr600rr »

pretty much what the title says ... anyone ever ran one of these or wired it up?
Target30
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Re: anybody ever used a veypor or acewell gauge?

Post by Target30 »

i have a veypor, i like it, a lot of stuff on it that really isnt needed for street use, but it is still nice
I did that.

"(12:38:42) sweekster: i work when i want because i'm sweeks"
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I have an acewell. Its a decent guage, but thers lots of BS associated with it.
89fzr600rr
Site Newbie

Post by 89fzr600rr »

anybody else?
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mrfreeze5 wrote:I , but thers lots of BS associated with it.
Mr F,
care to explain what you mean by BS enquiring minds would like to know before shelling out the folding stuff.
THNX
Y-G
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

i think he said it was limited mounting option, very poor customer service, and i think the instructions were of poor quality. i think that was it, i think im probally gonna get a veypor myself
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

if you get a veypor don't get the V2 unless you're going to do some track days

even more useless stuff
8 Bikes so far...more coming too...Image

Finished my 2000 GSXR 750 -> Link here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3617
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

yamaha_george wrote:
mrfreeze5 wrote:I , but thers lots of BS associated with it.
Mr F,
care to explain what you mean by BS enquiring minds would like to know before shelling out the folding stuff.
THNX
Y-G

OK, the ES2853 that I have is a cool guage and it does almost everything I need it to, with one major exception. The 2800 series does not have a coolant temp setup. The 2900 does. I wasn't paying attention when I ordered, so that's my fault. They sent me the wrong thing twice though and it was 6 weeks before I received the item I ordered. I have also not been able to get them to send me tech documents that were not on their website at the time(wiring diagram). I misplaced my diagram when I moved. Luckily someone on the customfighters board had the pdf files and emailed them to me the next day. Electrosport said they'd send them immediately and never did.

The gauge itself is pretty versatile and has a lot of different functions. Problem is that it resets to tripometer 1 every time you turn the bike on. I generally use the numeric Tach readout lately while Ive been tuning the bike, so every time I start the bike, I have to change the speedo over to the tach function, it wont hold it. This is becoming a nuisance over time to me, it may not bother other people as much. The guage also has a clock that is displayed at all times, even when the bike is off. This could turn into a voltage problem for a bike that is only ridden occasionally. At idle, the tach will jump from 1000-3000rpm. Once you're riding, it stays even, but it makes setting your idle difficult. Mine is just set by ear.

Mounting. The mounting bracket is dumb. Its sits at a 45* angle from the gauge. The bracket fits around the wires, and THEN they put the connectors on, so the only way to make a new bracket for this is to cut the wire connectors off the harness, pull the bracket, then splice them back on. When i tried mounting it to my triple tree as is, the viewing angle on the screen made the readout disappear and it was totally unreadable while riding. I had to bend the bracket so the gauge was layed back more. It is still kinda hard to see in direct sunlight. The LEDs are even worse. At night, it is nice and bright though.

THE magnetic speed sensor that i used with my R1 front end was a PITA too. Its very difficult to mount on a R1 fork. Other models are easier, but my forks were not cooperative. I ended up drilling and tapping the meat of my caliper to mount it, and its still a little sketchy. And the shielding they use around the wires on the speed sensor wants to stay coiled up no matter what, so the wire wants to pull itself away and stick out and do its own thing. The gauge also did not come with the loose magnet that it should have and I had to go out and buy some rare earth magnets and epoxy it on top of the magnetic bolt they supplied since it was not close enough to the switch.

The gauge works well for me now, but because Ive had to tweak it a lot. I am considering moving up to the 2900 series to get the coolant readout, or I may go to another gauge altogether. The product is OK in my book, nothing is perfect out of the box, but their CS is one of the worst Ive ever dealt with, and that is a big factor for repeat business with me.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mrfreeze5 wrote:no matter
Thank you Mr F that was a well written critique of the product & the company with regard to the item, instructions and the poor service back up.
I f you do go with the 29 series witnh coolant guage we would like to hear from you again, if is not toom much trouble.
Better one of us spends cash and has slight regrets than have people speech you of for recomending junk.

Thanks again
Y-G
NoNothing
Site Newbie

Post by NoNothing »

I've got the 3901 Acewell gauge and I love it. It took me a while to get it wired up properly but I think that was due to me being a 'tard with the ignition wiring.

I have none of the Issues MR F described other than the tach jumping from 1-3k, but Im never at 1-3k when riding, and I use my analog tach still (picture below). Ive also never had an issue with the trip meter resetting when I turn the unit on, and it remembers what I was looking at last (rpm digits for example), it surprised me that it even remembered after I disconnected power to the unit. The coolant temp tube was easy to install, the magnet that came with the unit was easy to install and works like a charm. I made my own mounting bracket and I'd recommend the same, their bracket is crap, but that's what you get with a universal offering. I love my Acewell and wouldn't have it any other way. The only reason I would get a Veypor is for the IR lap times for when I eventually do track days. But to me the look of that thing is horrid, though others think the same of the acewell.

My only complaint with the Acewell is viewing angle. It's vertical viewing angle is horrid. I can still read the dash, but its grey instead of solid black when I go from cornering to straights and lean down on my bike, but I have angled it at a good middle ground. It is clearly visible in broad daylight so that is a huge bonus and something I didnt expect from an LED display.

Photo of before I finished my mount:
My camera picked up glare that I have never seen in any amount of daylight.

All in all I'd recommend one, and I'd spend my money on one again, and I guess stay away from the 2xxx series
87 FZR1000