FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

lafaro
100+ Posts
100+ Posts
Location: currently north carolina/ hometown fair lawn new jersey

problem

Post by lafaro »

ok so i reinstalled the forks and raised em up about 1 3/4 in. the problem is now the headers are extremely close to my front tire. and i dont have the fender on yet. its probably going to be about 1 1/2 in away from the fender. now i have already asked on another thread about the performence aspects of wrapping headers and got alot of negetive reviews, but what about using it to solve this problem. any one have any experience with heat wrapping headers. or have had the same problem as me. even with the bike not lowered it melted my fender a tiny bit as to where it caved in and that put it far away enough to not melt it any more

1999 fzr 600 *vance and hines can and header*stage 2 jet kit*r1 front seat*frame painted gloss black*"ducati" style mirrors with integrared smoked blinkers*r1 tail and pit-eck fiberglass undertail molded into a 1 piece tail and undertail*black powdercoated brake and clutch levers*Bridgestone BT-014*single headlight 92 front fairing swap*powdercoated black engine covers(TK)*aluminum coolent tank(modking)*2007 cbr1000rr rear seat*zero gravity smoked windscreen cut short*lowered front 2"
lafaro
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: problem

Post by lafaro »

anybody :ermm:

1999 fzr 600 *vance and hines can and header*stage 2 jet kit*r1 front seat*frame painted gloss black*"ducati" style mirrors with integrared smoked blinkers*r1 tail and pit-eck fiberglass undertail molded into a 1 piece tail and undertail*black powdercoated brake and clutch levers*Bridgestone BT-014*single headlight 92 front fairing swap*powdercoated black engine covers(TK)*aluminum coolent tank(modking)*2007 cbr1000rr rear seat*zero gravity smoked windscreen cut short*lowered front 2"
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

sounds like some nice integrated tire warmers to me!

lol.

you have a V&H header so it should be hugging the engine nicely and have plenty of room...correct???
lafaro
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by lafaro »

well when i bought this bike the guy told me the only thing done to it was the v&h can and header but ive seen some v&h headers online and they dont look like mine and now that i have the bike apart im starting to think its not a v&h header not sure if it stock or what but whatever it is it come pretty close to the fender

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I just received my roll of header wrap in the mail today and Ive been doing research on the process. The reason it gets a lot of negative response is because people generally do it wrong. You are only supposed to overlap 1/4" or less. Otherwise you get hot spots in the exhaust. Also if your bike is prone to leaking, it will hold oil and burn it. It has its advantages for the engine performance as well as lower outside temps, just be sure you do it right. It also helps if you blast and paint/coat your header first to help prevent rust. But that also depends on what part of the country youre in.
lafaro
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by lafaro »

what brand did u go with mrfreeze5

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

lafaro wrote:what brand did u go with mrfreeze5
Its not listed on what I have. I got it from a company on ebay that sells nothing but exhaust wrap. And the price was right. $17 for 50'. We will see how it works out soon...
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

a) trim the tail of the fender a little bit. EVERY FZR I have seen with any miles on them has a slightly deformed fender from heat.

b) if you run header wrap..don't EVER let it stay wet...this means start it and get it ALL the way hot every single time you start it if it gets wet at all. And, if it gets wet, dont' shut the bike off until it has dried itself completely. Hot metal and contained moisture is a rust flakes wet dream. My experience of it is that on headers that aren't under a hood..the header only lasts half as long as it will without heaer wrap..regradless of paint type or apllication.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

reelrazor wrote:a) trim the tail of the fender a little bit. EVERY FZR I have seen with any miles on them has a slightly deformed fender from heat.

b) if you run header wrap..don't EVER let it stay wet...this means start it and get it ALL the way hot every single time you start it if it gets wet at all. And, if it gets wet, dont' shut the bike off until it has dried itself completely. Hot metal and contained moisture is a rust flakes wet dream. My experience of it is that on headers that aren't under a hood..the header only lasts half as long as it will without heaer wrap..regradless of paint type or apllication.
Yeah, wetness isnt a major concern for me here, low humidity and the storms only last about 30min and then dry out. Plus my header is super thick :D I wouldnt use it in a humid area that gets lots of rain.
lafaro
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by lafaro »

well humidity and rain is the only thing at all in this state, lol

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

got pics of the header?

stock is 4-1 system and the two middle pipes stick out farther than the rest.

if you remove the headers it kinda looks like a hand with really long fingers (4 pipes fingers, exhuast exit thumb)