FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

lafaro
100+ Posts
100+ Posts
Location: currently north carolina/ hometown fair lawn new jersey

ok so i probably messed up

Post by lafaro »

i was replacing the stator cover. put everything in the new one the same way it came out of the old one. put everything back together started her up and what do i get a wierd rubbing noise coming from the cover. its not loud and kinda sounds like metal rubbing what could i have possibly done wrong

1999 fzr 600 *vance and hines can and header*stage 2 jet kit*r1 front seat*frame painted gloss black*"ducati" style mirrors with integrared smoked blinkers*r1 tail and pit-eck fiberglass undertail molded into a 1 piece tail and undertail*black powdercoated brake and clutch levers*Bridgestone BT-014*single headlight 92 front fairing swap*powdercoated black engine covers(TK)*aluminum coolent tank(modking)*2007 cbr1000rr rear seat*zero gravity smoked windscreen cut short*lowered front 2"
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Re: ok so i probably messed up

Post by the_finch »

There's a little metal tab that holds the stator/pickup coil wires to the inside of the stator cover. If you ever let your stator cover dangle by the wires (like I did) it tends to bend said tab outward a little, letting it rub on the stator cup. Sounds like the bike is about to rip itself apart when you fire it up.

Thankfully it's a simple fix: take the stator cover back off and make sure that tab is as tight against the wires as possible to keep it from happening again.

Oh, and if it isn't that and nothing else is touching, I honestly don't know what it could be.

Hope that helps.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
lafaro
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by lafaro »

k thanks im gonna go back out there and try

1999 fzr 600 *vance and hines can and header*stage 2 jet kit*r1 front seat*frame painted gloss black*"ducati" style mirrors with integrared smoked blinkers*r1 tail and pit-eck fiberglass undertail molded into a 1 piece tail and undertail*black powdercoated brake and clutch levers*Bridgestone BT-014*single headlight 92 front fairing swap*powdercoated black engine covers(TK)*aluminum coolent tank(modking)*2007 cbr1000rr rear seat*zero gravity smoked windscreen cut short*lowered front 2"
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

No prob. I really hope that's all it is, for your sake. I can't think of anything else it could be.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
lafaro
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by lafaro »

right on point man thants exactly what it was thanks alot

the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

Not a problem. If you didn't guess I learned that one the hard way.

Mine probably sounded worse, though. The tab was constantly rubbing the stator cup and a part of it was just tapping the timing tabs as they went around. Sounded like my motor was about to explode. I even ran for cover when I first heard it.

It's amazing how much trouble one little tiny piece of metal can cause when it's in the wrong place, isn't it?
1997 FZR600RJ

lafaro
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by lafaro »

haha yep it definitly didnt sound good when i started it lol