New harness, same problems

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

mark1914
Site Newbie

New harness, same problems

Post by mark1914 »

I picked up a harness of a members 99. Came today and I mean that thing was beautiful. Clean and ready to go. I took my hacked up harness off and installed the newer one. I did everything right. Took my time. Double checked the connections. Put the key back in, pushed the starter button and nothing :headscratch: So I wired the starter bypass back up and it fired right up.

Problem number 2. The set of gauges I bought off another members 92 had a tach issue. The tachometer wouldnt get up past 1500rpms. I thought and talked to you guys and some said its a ground issue in the harness. Well new harness and the tach still doesnt get up past 1500 :dubious: :headscratch: banghead What ground did I miss? Or could it just be a bad set of gauges? The seller said they worked fine when he took them off.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: New harness, same problems

Post by yamaha_george »

mark1914 wrote:I picked up a harness of a members 99. Came today and I mean that thing was beautiful. Clean and ready to go. I took my hacked up harness off and installed the newer one. I did everything right. Took my time. Double checked the connections. Put the key back in, pushed the starter button and nothing :headscratch: So I wired the starter bypass back up and it fired right up.

Problem number 2. The set of gauges I bought off another members 92 had a tach issue. The tachometer wouldnt get up past 1500rpms. I thought and talked to you guys and some said its a ground issue in the harness. Well new harness and the tach still doesnt get up past 1500 :dubious: :headscratch: banghead What ground did I miss? Or could it just be a bad set of gauges? The seller said they worked fine when he took them off.
M,
With older bikes ground log spots get corroded, painted over, greasy etc etc. Clean them ALL up tags as well. then get back to us
mark1914
Site Newbie

Post by mark1914 »

George, what main grounds should I look to work on? I only saw two when I was swapping the harness out. One under the gas tank and the other on the frame in the back.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

mark1914 wrote:George, what main grounds should I look to work on? I only saw two when I was swapping the harness out. One under the gas tank and the other on the frame in the back.
Those are the only 2 I can think of. Just clean the contact and the frame real good between them. It could very well be a bad tach.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

The engine and VR are both grounded to the frame. The starter solenoid is grounded to the engine. Those should be the only things.

Make sure the wires for the horn and turn signals are all connected as they will short out one of the fuses. But that should not cause a not to start situation. What item did you bypass to get it to start?

Like Geo said, make sure all of the ground spots are clean (no paint / rust).
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
ghettomedic505
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by ghettomedic505 »

I had the same problem turned out that the relay that plugs into my harness had a corroded pin on the part for the starter. I got a new relay and it fired right up with the start button. if I didn't make much sense let me knor and ill get some pics up for you buy go check that relay box next to the blinker relay
OH I THINK I DROPPED MY MONKEY

mark1914
Site Newbie

Post by mark1914 »

I'll check the relay. I looked at it as I was swapping out the harness. Come to think of it I didnt check the ground under the fuel tank.

All I did to bypass the stater button was what the PO did. I hooked up a starter button I got from autozone with two heavy duty gauge battery wires to the round looking relay behind the battery. Starts fine this way. Just doesnt start when I push the actual starter button.
ghettomedic505
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by ghettomedic505 »

Ya I did the same bypass on mine to get it to start before I fixed it. When you press the button does your oil light turn on
OH I THINK I DROPPED MY MONKEY

mark1914
Site Newbie

Post by mark1914 »

ghettomedic505 wrote:Ya I did the same bypass on mine to get it to start before I fixed it. When you press the button does your oil light turn on
No. My oil light doesn't turn on. When I press the a actual start button the lights dim to almost off. I need to recheck the grounds and try and open up the started switch. There's a stripped screw where it looks like the PO tried to open it up.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

mark1914 wrote:
ghettomedic505 wrote:Ya I did the same bypass on mine to get it to start before I fixed it. When you press the button does your oil light turn on
No. My oil light doesn't turn on. When I press the a actual start button the lights dim to almost off. I need to recheck the grounds and try and open up the started switch. There's a stripped screw where it looks like the PO tried to open it up.
Now that sounds like the way to go., FZR's do seem to have problems with dodgy starter buttons as well as rubbish grounds.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

I agree with Geo, it sounds like the switch is the problem. But, fixing the switch is almost a waist of time. Go on eBay and find a newer R6 start switch. It can be wired in with minimal effort. And you will never run into the dreaded "My headlights won't turn on" problem by doing it.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

cad600 wrote:I agree with Geo, it sounds like the switch is the problem. But, fixing the switch is almost a waist of time. Go on eBay and find a newer R6 start switch. It can be wired in with minimal effort. And you will never run into the dreaded "My headlights won't turn on" problem by doing it.

+1 on the R6 swap out