wierd plastic pipe

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

89fzr600rr
Site Newbie

wierd plastic pipe

Post by 89fzr600rr »

so i got home today and cut my bike off and i hear this gurgle noise and i look on the left side of my bike and i see a clear rubber tube with oil bubleing in it. gave it a tug and the top of it is not connected to anything and i didnt tug towards the bottom because it was obviously where the oil was coming from. i also saw like a white milky substance in this tube once before a couple months back. anyone have an idea what this tube is and if it should be connected up top? the bike runs like a champ and im pretty sure its been this way since i got it (jan)

thanks fellas you have been a great help since i bought this beast! :yutugh2:
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Re: wierd plastic pipe

Post by Fizzinatorr »

that's your battery overflow

time for a new sealed battery
8 Bikes so far...more coming too...Image

Finished my 2000 GSXR 750 -> Link here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3617
89fzr600rr
Site Newbie

Post by 89fzr600rr »

no its not that ... its probably a 1/2 rubber tube that comes up from the engine
bweight
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by bweight »

isn't that the battery overflow tube?

could be wrong though since you said it wasn't connected to anything at the top.. Was it black or clear?
89 FZR 400
Custom Paintjob
600 plastics.
06 - R6 Shock
FZR600 Motor
Polished Frame & Engine Covers

Soon to be:
Broke........

FZROnline.com Decals. Get yours Now!!!
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

could be your crank case breather...they might of lost the stock black tube and replaced it with a clear one...it needs to be connected to the bottom of the airbox where it can be filtered...
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by mossy1200 »

you want to hope its not crank breather if it had milky colour in it a while ago....
need to check your oil perhaps.
Clear tube sounds like battery overflow but it shouldnt have been bubbling unless the battery is shot and overfull.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

crank case breather can shoot white stuff out...its from condonsation...if you had the bike in cold weather and start it it shoots or spits a white stuff...had it happen to me before...its not uncommon.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

shredex wrote:crank case breather can shoot white stuff out...its from condonsation...if you had the bike in cold weather and start it it shoots or spits a white stuff...had it happen to me before...its not uncommon.
especially if your bike is blowing white AND black smoke..has blowby and is in dire need of attention
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

reelrazor wrote:
shredex wrote:crank case breather can shoot white stuff out...its from condonsation...if you had the bike in cold weather and start it it shoots or spits a white stuff...had it happen to me before...its not uncommon.
especially if your bike is blowing white AND black smoke..has blowby and is in dire need of attention
lol...gottem!

yea, usually with cars, this means a blown head gasket(water seeping through gasket into oil)
Are you loosing any water?
FZR 600 "bring back to life" project.... SHE LIVES!!!
FZR manual---->> http://commline.com/FZR/600/MANUAL/
89fzr600rr
Site Newbie

Post by 89fzr600rr »

not blowing any smoke and it shouldnt be the crank case breather.... not to sure. i need to jusdt bite the bullet and pull off the fairings and see what exactly is going on down there.

and when you say losing water ... where from are you refering to?
Luke-a-Tron
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Luke-a-Tron »

If you've still got the stock airbox, the crankcase breather should be attached to the crankcase on one end (duh) and the airbox on the other. This one connects to the larger of the two nipples near the center rear of the airbox. The other tube connected to the airbox is the airbox drain. This is the one that should hang down. It's supposed to have a check valve in the middle so you don't suck anything up through the tube. At a minimum you want some kind of filter in line.

I think there's another tube that connects to the rubber surround on the neck of the gas tank. It's just a drain. I think only my 89 had this though. There's the battery vent that's been mentioned too. The only other tube I can think of connects the coolant filler neck to the overflow bottle.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's the airbox drain.
tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

89fzr600rr wrote:
and when you say losing water ... where from are you refering to?
coolant
FZR 600 "bring back to life" project.... SHE LIVES!!!
FZR manual---->> http://commline.com/FZR/600/MANUAL/
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Easy...easy now boys! Wait until he can give us some more info before jumping the f'ing gun here. Mis-leading info here and you will worry him to his death tonight. LOL
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

89fzr600rr
Site Newbie

Post by 89fzr600rr »

its def not a blown gasket. its not losing coolant and there is no smoke at all. i am pretty sure its just disconnected from the air box
Luke-a-Tron
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Luke-a-Tron »

If there's no check valve in the tube, you're probably better off leaving it disconnected. It might drip some oil onto the engine occasionally but it should not be much. If the tube is hanging down without the valve in it, you run the risk of sucking up water or something.