FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

maxVPL
Site Newbie

Post by maxVPL »

Last edited by maxVPL on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Newbie FZR 600 advice

Post by thatkid »

Ive spent 7 hours straight on my fzr. I was riding from SLC, UT to Mesa, AZ. While being leaned over does get tiring it isn't "uncomfortable". It's not a lazy boy but it isn't bad. The periodic 5-10 min stop to stretch takes care of it. That or stretch on the bike. Just stand up on the pegs on the long straight stretches of road to give the legs some straightness.

You have plenty of options though if you buy an fzr. You can always add risers to the triple and put dirt bike bars on. It'll give you a more upright riding position and be more comfortable on longer rides. I have that setup on my bike right now. It won't lean into the corners as well as it would if you were leaning over on the bike but it will still handle the corners well enough. I'm happy to trade the differences for a little more comfort.

2k doesn't sound bad if it's in the condition you say it is. Mileage seems a bit high to me but if you know and trust the guy I'd say go for it.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Welcome to the site Max...I'm not too far from you in Lancaster and... Agreed
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Hi. The riding position is not bad at all. I'm 6'2" with a fairly long arm reach and I can get the bars with little discomfort (being hunched over). But the bike is still a large enough that if I want to get down for a more sport position that I can do it.

Being a '99 model, if it comes with all the gear then it is an excellent deal. The FZR does have it's little quirks mind you. If you plan on riding it every day you will want to get some touring tires as those will be the only ones that will last a long time. The 18" rear wheel is a real down fall of the bike. But there are plenty of swap options that can be done over the weekend if you are handy with tools that will give you a better selection of tires (17" rubber). The FZR is a really fun bike. It accepts modifications well. And when it is tuned properly, it runs very well.

Your comment about the 250 Rebel is dead on. Plus you've got to be lucky enough to find another dumb smuck to buy it from you when you are finished with it. I know someone that has been trying to get rid of one for 3 years. I like the looks of the new Ninja 250. The old one is a little weird to me. But you can always find a buyer for the Ninja. However, I've heard the same thing about the little Ninja's highway manors as the 250 Rebel. It just doesn't have the ball sack big enough for highway riding.

Good luck with the decision.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
maxVPL
Site Newbie

Post by maxVPL »

Thanks thatkid! That's exactly the info I was looking for and I'll feel a lot more comfortable about the purchase if I do end up getting it. Those changes you recommended seem like great ideas and I'm definitely going to look into them.

Max
FordFoxGT
Site Newbie

Post by FordFoxGT »

Not to thread jack but...

I was at the local dealership the other day and man that new 250 Ninja is sharp. I'd ride it and I don't care much for Kawi's. $4K brand new doesn't seem too bad either.
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Welcome to the site! I think your making a great decision on choosing an FZR. I had owned mine for 4 years before selling it and getting a newer bike. In the time I had it, riding long distance was never an issue.
TK mentioned risers which suit the fzr greatly. We want to see some pics when you ride it home.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Hey! Welcome to the site. I usually ride one handed so I can sit-up a little more when there isn't a lot of traffic or when the streets are in really good condition. The seat is not very comfortable, but you can always replace the foam and vinyl for something more comfortable.

$2k for the bike and decent gear is an ok price. That is really a lot of miles on the bike though. But, it's a well built machine and people have put 4x that much on them without too many issues.
FordFoxGT wrote:I was at the local dealership the other day and man that new 250 Ninja is sharp. $4K brand new doesn't seem too bad either.
It's only a 250... for a dirt bike that's fine, but for a streetbike, that's really too little power. I wouldn't pay $4k for one when there are a lot of people selling them.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
Fartblood
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by Fartblood »

The riding position isn't the best, but is almost a cruiser compared to some modern hyper-sports bikes. You soon get used to it. I'm 6'3" and north of 230 but have no problems with regular 2 hour journeys down to my Dads.
Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by Dragon »

Welcome!! & Agreed with these guys.