No votes
Potentially harmful
No votes

Total votes: 0

Wgdeplachett
Site Newbie

Just a bunch of random questions...

Post by Wgdeplachett »

OK, so over the past 4 months I've been tweaking and changing my FZR 600 that I basically received for free from a barter listing for work trade on Craigslist. It was an amazing deal and am more than happy with it. I got a 92 fzr600 with airtech body kit, all original faring, and a bunch of extra parts, because it was a project that never got finished but was almost finished as is. Anyway, so I did tons of body work smoothing and shaping the body kit to make for as sleeker look, and even rivited the two upper and lower main fairings and fiberglass/bondo shaved the whole kit to make a one piece. Now that presented the annoyance of doing absolutely anything mechanical, including oil changes, a complete hassle because in order to remove front end one piece, the front end of bike/forks had to be lifted so it will slide out. But came up with easy way to do all work by simply jacking up front by headlight cage with an engine Jack.
Anyhow, I continued all shaving around bike, and painted. Now I have dove into the performance jacking stage. Since the bike was free investment was a no brainer. What ever I spend is the cost of bike. I aquired a complete 98 yzf 600r, free from a friend due to a wreck. So Im working that motor for retrofit, but am going to bore, port, polish, clean, etc. Before I drop in bike. Now that requires more time and money than I care to use NOW. So I want to jack up my stock engine.
So far I removed the headers and exhaust from yzf and switched... Sounds and runs good... Good idea?
Bench synced the carbs, which made a hell of a difference, now just need dynamic sync. But I had looked into putting in the yzf carbs since they are larger and porting boots and all to increase top. So I had the bright idea to try to carve old boots temporarily to fit larger carbs as to see if it mattered for a swap. And this proved bad, cause carbs weren't working, and got frustrated and went to put old carbs in, but now boots were carved out and wouldn't get a seal and kept slipping off. So I did something I've never heard or seen anyone talk about on the forums and jammed a 1 1/4" X 5" copper pipe into each boot and tightened with new clamps lower on boot, and essentially raised the carbs 5" and put pod filters and a "hood" scoop. Now this not only temporarily solved my air leak issue from boots, but gave the bike a lot more acceleration. Not to mention noise, which I feel louder is better. Now is this a good move any comments...
Any other upgrades anyone knows of in the performance class I'd love to know. Any with yzf swaps.

Also, I checked my compression yesterday, and cylinders 1,3,4 all at 90#, but when pumping up cylinder 2 it slows intake on pressure on second rev, at about 60, and maxes at 75ish on forth rev. What's the problem?

Well I have tons more advice and question answering, although will leave for next post. Any and all help advice will be heard and appriciated thank you
Noob GD
et_miller_87
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: Just a bunch of random questions...

Post by et_miller_87 »

That's a pretty good difference of compression to be honest. Once you get it running, does it smoke on idle? Bluish white smoke?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Wgdeplachett
Site Newbie

Post by Wgdeplachett »

No, its not the head. Already checked that, were thinking rings.
Wgdeplachett
Site Newbie

Post by Wgdeplachett »

No, its not the head. Already checked that, were thinking rings.