Having issues with my FZR

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

96YamiFZR
Site Newbie

Having issues with my FZR

Post by 96YamiFZR »

Hey guys so I'm new here to the forum, and new to riding and have a question and it would be appreciated if you guys can help me out since I am dieing to get back on the bike. So I have a 1996 FZR 600, I got it about 3 months ago and love the thing but about 2 weeks ago I was riding it on the highway after a long day of riding, and the bike decided to die on me in the middle lane of the highway, after running it into a safe area, out of pure frustration I kept trying to start it and start it and start it, nothing. Well after having it towed to my house the original reason why it died on me has been figured out and taken care of but now since I got frustrated and wouldn't let off on trying to start it when I did break down, when I go to start the bike it will not crank or anything, I originally thought maybe it was the battery and charged the battery but still nothing, so I bought a brand new battery, still nothing. When I do go to start it there is a single click that is coming from what I think is starter solenoid, and if you keep pressing the start button you get a repetitive clicking from the starter solenoid, but the single click is more common. I had a buddy of mine who works on quads and dirt bikes come look at it and he did something where he put a screw driver to the solenoid and the bike started to crank and he seems to believe that if I put a new solenoid in the bike she will start up and I'll be riding it again, I was just curious if any of you have run into this issue before because my frustration clearly burnt something out, and wanted some of your guys opinions and advice since you probably know a lot more about these bikes then me and my buddy do. Thanks in advance.
feezyrider
Site Newbie

Re: Having issues with my FZR

Post by feezyrider »

Yea I just had this issue. I'd say work your way back from the battery. So check connections and fuses, if you're good there check digital ignitor, if that's good then check voltage regulator/rectifier, if that's good then check solenoid. All of those parts I named are on eBay and can be had for around no more than $100. Hope these ideas help

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Your friend "bridged" the starter motor solenoid.
It is a common check to test operation.

It may be the solenoid itself has failed or somewhat less likely; the supply to operate or activate it is lacking.

The solenoid has two large terminals that go to the battery and the starter motor.
By placing a metal object over both terminals (bridging) the solenoid itself is removed from the starter circuit.....
he just did it manually.

The solenoid is made to work electrically by voltage being supplied to the smaller single wire.
You can test this using a small wire from the battery positive to the bullet terminal.
If the solenoid works then the normal supply to the solenoid from the relay if fitted or the starter button has a fault.

Think of a starter solenoid as a big heavy switch operated by a smaller lighter switch.

In 90% of cases like yours the solenoid itself has failed.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
96YamiFZR
Site Newbie

Post by 96YamiFZR »

Thanks you've been a big help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Remember when testing this way ala. bridging;

The starter motor will operate if the bike is in gear or not; the safety lockout switches are bypassed and it will do so if the ignition is on or off.

It cannot start if the ignition is not on or the kill switch is set though, as the ignition circuit/TCI is not on.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
96YamiFZR
Site Newbie

Post by 96YamiFZR »

Alright cool thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk