Suggestions - Overload Lockout

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid

Re: Suggestions - Overload Lockout

Post by thatkid »

olie05 wrote:Maybe I'm just playing devils advocate here, but wouldn't a properly fused harness withstand an over-voltage condition? Again, I've never experienced one of these VR failures myself, so I don't know what pieces it takes along when it fails.
A faulty overcharging VR can take out almost everything electrical, TCI, battery, Tach, relays, coils, bulbs, fuel pump, & more. It's known of a $700 price tag to replace the components a faulty VR fried :yikes:

If anyone with the R6 VR upgrade thinks they are safe, well....... :duh: anything and everything can develop a fault.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

olie05 wrote:Maybe I'm just playing devils advocate here, but wouldn't a properly fused harness withstand an over-voltage condition? Again, I've never experienced one of these VR failures myself, so I don't know what pieces it takes along when it fails.

Well Devils Advocate,

the problem is that fuses take too long to actually blow, and semiconductors blow quicker I know this from when i was designing audio kit that could withstand some PO wiring 6 speakers in parallel (I actually saw one wire his "HiFi" with 14 in parallel for a big sound ) the trick was to design a shut off that stopped the large current of a short but allowed enough current to power the bass speaker at low resonance.

Now of course such circuitry is common place, the fact remains that fuses are cheap and mostly they work according to Mr. Yamaha's plan of protecting his design.
olie05
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by olie05 »

I'm guessing that most of these harness meltdown problems would come from user error, such as going to higher fuse ratings than recommended by the factory.

Also, on the subject of fixing the VR problem, why not swap in a newer VR regulator? A quick glance at the F4i manual shows that the input to the vr on those bikes has 3 wires coming off the alternator, one wire to ground, and one to power; hardly any modification required to fit it to an FZR. I'm sure many other new bikes have the same pinout.

Surely the technology would have improved by the 2000's, possibly even with built in over voltage/over temperature protection.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Olie05,

Do some reading on the YZF / R6 VRR swap; it's considered almost de rigeur for these older bikes. The fact remains that people have had failures with these newer VRR designs - even if it's a newer design, we ARE talking a used piece of electrical equipment that's 10-15 years old. You may have noted that one of my planned products is a plug-in adaptor to fit a newer VRR to the 4-pin harness connector without cutting and crimping, to make it easier to upgrade the VRR.

Also, fuses are meant for sudden spikes in amperage; sustained loading just below the trip point will cause overheating and failure of different components. Fuse size selection is a trade-off between protection and nuisance trips - putting a 6A fuse in a circuit rated for 5A will result in a lot of cranky people, but a 10A fuse will catch short-circuits before it causes damage. A sustained 9A won't pop the fuse, but can cause damage over time.

While fuses and VRR normally work, they are demonstrably insufficient protection under all circumstances. The purpose of my little toy is to add another layer of security.

George, Mal - thanks guys, but gently please. There's a fine line between chiming in with support, and dogpiling! :lol:
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

DonTZ125 wrote:Olie05,
George, Mal - thanks guys, but gently please. There's a fine line between chiming in with support, and dog piling! :lol:
Err where's my American vernacular sayings book ...............