FZR Business

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

dash
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

FZR Business

Post by dash »

Don,

I thought I would ask the general question that I've been kicking around for the past few months. First, excuse me if this isn't the place for this post, but I felt that you (from our previous conversations) had the present knowledge with regards to this topic.

I've been playing around with some design/build ideas, as well as launching into a possible business venture that circulates around the concept of providing FZR Restorations & Builds, FZR custom accessories, 600cc race engines & chassis development for 600 MiniSprints, Technical & CAD Consulting, and Alternative fuel cell prototypes. First of all, my background is in engineering both civil/environmental and mechanical. I've got a possible business partner with background in materials fabrication and design and high-level of motorsports (building, working on, and driving supermodified race cars). There is a full-service machine shop at my disposal, as well as experienced high-level engine shops within our social network.

That being said, do you think that the FZR provides a good platform to fit into this business model, given its 10 year model history and reliability during its production run? I understand that the model eventually became the R6 and R1 for a reason. Your thoughts?

Likewise, I would like to get any feedback with regards to this subject from anyone with interest. Please note, this venture would likely begin as a hobby, but should the operations continually be in the red, then obviously the business model would be altered.

Respectfully,

Chad.
1992 FZR600

"He's a tough, old goat...his name's not Rocky for nothing!"
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: FZR Business

Post by thatkid »

Not worth it. I'm glad I got out when I did. There will be some die hards that will want stuff but for the most part, the consumer base for the fzr doesn't want to spend a lot. The bike can be picked up cheap and worked on cheap. Some will put money into it and hold onto it and continue to modify it, but most will look for the cheapest option when trying to upgrade. If you were doing it out of a pure love for the bike then go for it. If you're looking to make money, pick a newer bike or one of those fancy brands that people will just drop gobs of money on because it looks cool. The FZR is a great bike, but a money maker it is not.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

I have to agree. I started with the FZR because that's what I knew, but I do plan on expending to other makes and marques. Right now, most of what little I'm actually making is coming from car guys!
dash
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by dash »

Thanks for the input. I generally feel the same with regard to people looking for a "cheap" bike, but I wonder how it would do to transistion into a high-performance race engine (either in alcohol or efi trim)? I want to avoid the idea of a "bone-yard" full of old fzr's. It's in the planning stage right now and trying to gather information. Thanks again.
1992 FZR600

thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

I've made more money faster dealing in Triumph parts than the FZR. Really comes down to people with higher end bikes are willing to spend more money on them.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
dash
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by dash »

That's a good point. I've been flowcharting the the biz model and realistically looking at the revenues, and have'nt reached a definitive conclusion yet. Do you still powder coat?
1992 FZR600

dash
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by dash »

Has there been any dyno discussions on a fzr600 with efi and/or alcohol injection. Is there competition for a modern r6 that's 3 to 4 years old?
1992 FZR600