My YZF750R

Moderator: FZR Forum Moderators

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

My YZF750R

Post by cad600 »

About a year ago, I came across a YZF750R for dirt cheap. So $350 later, I had one of the bikes I've always liked. It needed a lot of work as the pictures show. Here it is when I pulled into my driveway with it and starting to pull what was on it apart. The tank had been spray painted and the other things were in horrible shape. The PO had bought it from a shop were it had been sitting outside for about 3 years.

Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: My YZF750R

Post by cad600 »

Started the weight loss reduction plan which amounts to complete disassembly for cleaning.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Started the cleaning process. There was spray point over spray on the frame that got cleaned up, I was able to get some replacement parts because someone did a lousy job repairing the coolant tube and it destroyed the generator as well. Also got some new sprockets ad rubber for the wheels.

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Y-Geo was a big help with getting some parts. The YZF750 sold here fairly good, but parts are difficult to come by. The biggest thing I got was an Ohlins shock. It was in horrible shape, but I know that when I got Y-Geo to buy it for me. Once I got it, I sent it to a shop here and they completely reworked it for me. The only parts that were not replaced are the shaft and the res bottle. I then started to put it back together.

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

I had to source fairings since the bike did not come with any. They are all from a YZF750, but from different model years and therefore different colors and conditions. I also redid the fork seals and added a R1 Radial Master for the brakes and a Ducati 848 Radial Master for the clutch (the YZF750 and FZR1000 had hydraulic clutches stock).

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Here is a shot of the carbs which are the same as the FZR1000 but with different jet sizes. The rear wheel is installed. And after redoing the the fork seals again (DON'T buy the "No Leak" branded seals - they SUCK) and getting the other fairings I had onto it, here it is as of today.

Needs paint and a little carb tuning, but it runs and runs well.

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Rob,
that looks a whole lot better than that sorry a*s bike you brought home, I had forgotten all about that shock though looks absolutely amazing now, just to be nosy what did it cost for the re-work ?
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Sick build. I like it a lot.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

I guess this means I don't have to keep the secret anymore, huh? Glad this is coming together. Always nice to see an old EXUP get resurrected.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Thanks guys. This has been one of the bikes I've always wanted. And it is surprisingly nimble considering the high weight. The build has been filled with points of frustration were I wondered why did I buy such a heap. I had to get a different engine as the one that came with it was toast. Various parts are very hard to come buy and very very expensive to buy from the dealer. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Y-Geo - The shock came out great. The shop that did it is call Fast Bike Industries. There are located 5 miles from the Ohlins USA headquarters and the guy use to be an Ohlins employee & tech who was the AMA Ohlins Tech at the races. Hell of a nice guy. He said he can build any Ohlins shock to spec for about the same cost as new even if Ohlins does not make it any more. He did a standard rebuild and cleaned it. The service with all the replacement parts that were extra was only $350 (including a new spring). Considering a service and spring are $200, I got a great deal.

Duane - cats out of the bag now. I'm still amazed at how many parts are interchangeable with the FZR1000 and the YZF600 (more Foxeye than Thundercat though).

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Here is some video of the bike being ridden I was able to get this morning. Need to teach the wife how to take better video.

fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

Nice work Rob. The 400 frame looks tiny next to the 750! LOL!
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

89 FZR600 - Vance & Hines, DynoJet, Zero Gravity - sold in '91

http://www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 Parts For Sale !!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9971
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Well done. Looks tons better.

Let me know if you need any YZF 750 motor parts. I have a bunch of tasty bits powder coated black. I also have a spare rear seat and subframe it turns out.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

NICE!!!!

yeah the YZF600/750 are pretty similar, and what differs is probably a FZR1000 part

you coulda tossed a 1000 lump in there when the 750 motor ended up fragged... :whistle
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Thanks guys. The engine that came with the bike was shot. It had compression of about 90-30-20-0 for the cylinders. About a week before I figured out that it was hosed, a FZR1000 engine sold on feebay for about $400. The day I figured it out, there was no motors at decent prices to be found. I can actually drop in the YZF1000 (Thunderace) engine into here as well, but that one requires a little more work. I've still got the YZF750 engine that came with it though. Thought about rebuilding it and selling, but I can't get enough money for it to make it worth while. I should just look at getting some FZR1000 barrels and a new head. With the 750 crank, it will make a 823cc beast.

We'll see what happens. I rode this thing to class today and really like how it rides and handles in the turns. The heat is a killer though.