Can't believe how hard it is to find the stock float heigh

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ddnova
Site Newbie

Can't believe how hard it is to find the stock float heigh

Post by ddnova »

Hi everyone, I have tried everyone from forums to even phoning Yamaha service departments of dealers and no one, literally no one can tell me the stock float height for an 87 FZ750 genesis (been trying to find out for 2 weeks now). I have the Clymer book but its vague on its explanation. It states 8.3 mm from bottom edge of carb which would leave very little if any gas in the carb (8.3mm is not even above the drain screw) so this can't be right, it also states the float bowl lines marked on the outside but does not refer to them as why their existence. I currently have the floats set at 14mm but would really, really like to know the actual stock setting. Anyone with any info that could help me get these carbs back to stock would be of great (almost god like) assistance.

Thanks a bunch
Darren
1987 FZ750 Genesis
ddnova
Site Newbie

Re: Can't believe how hard it is to find the stock float hei

Post by ddnova »

OK, FYI for anyone wanting to know, the 87 FZ750 stock fuel level is 8.3 mm -+1mm under the float level lines on the outside of the carb not from the carb edge as stated by the Clymer FZ manual (not sure what Haynes manual says), this is from the Yamaha service manual which I found online finally!. This measurement equates to a float bowl level of 12mm.
So after adjusting my carbs by 1mm from 12 (11mm with K&N Jet kit) and turning the idle screws out 3.5 turns it solved my hard start, also idles without choke much faster and blipping the throttle now when cruising at 3-4k rpm it no longer stutters the response is immediate.
1987 FZ750 Genesis
FZRNorway
Site Newbie

Post by FZRNorway »

Hi, this explains a lot :thumbsup:
Haynes manual states a fuel level 7,3-9,3mm above the line on the float bowl for my fzr750, but this is simply impossible to achieve!
When I adjusted the level from approx. 15mm below the line to 9mm below the line, evrything was working fine! If you or anyone know where to find a yamaha servicemanual on the web for my 87 FZR750 also, I would be a very happy man banghead
ddnova
Site Newbie

Post by ddnova »

The only online manual I found (where I also got the correct information from) was in German, so I had translated the carb page in order to get my findings. I too have been trying to find the "english" version of the FZ750 service manual. Will post should I find anything.
1987 FZ750 Genesis