NEED HELP

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

FZRNOOB1
Site Newbie

NEED HELP

Post by FZRNOOB1 »

Imtrying to identify my bike and im having a hard time. This is the first time ive ever worked on a motorcycle so excuse my ignorance in advance...I Bought it from a friend of the family FOR 300BUCKS....but as i started to take it apart i noticed alot of this that are weird about the bike the finders didnt fit correctly....and the year of the bike was wrong.....he told me it was an 1987 Fzr 600 but i thought the 600 wasnt made untill 89....Also my friend has som kid of 750 and before the bike broke down i kept up with him like it was a 750.....im reall confused as to what this bike really is....i wold post pics but i dont know how......noob to the forum thing too
Last edited by FZRNOOB1 on Tue May 17, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 FZ6 Street Fighter project
U.S.A.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: NEED HELP

Post by ragedigital »

Well... since you stated that it's a 1988, I guess we need to figure out if it's a FZR400, FZ600 or a 1989 FZR600.

They didn't start making the FZR600 until 89. Posting a picture would certainly help us in identifying your model.

Does it have a radiator?

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
FZRNOOB1
Site Newbie

Post by FZRNOOB1 »

lol edited my post to late on my title it says 1987 Yamaha RS? And i dont know how to add photos to this forum....lol like i said excuse my ignorance :)
U.S.A.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Not sure what you have.

Do you have a Photobucket account? You can upload photos there and then send us the link.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
FZRNOOB1
Site Newbie

Post by FZRNOOB1 »

Im gonna try this up loading from the gallery on my profile ImageImageImage
U.S.A.
FZRNOOB1
Site Newbie

Post by FZRNOOB1 »

the top pick is the guy i bout the bike from and thats what it looked like originally but those are not the finders that came on the bike you can tell they dont fit flush
U.S.A.
FZRNOOB1
Site Newbie

Post by FZRNOOB1 »

And i even tried getting the VIN num read and no one can read VIN numbers past 2000....
U.S.A.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

You have an FZ600 which is quite different from the FZR600 and parts will not interchange.

*Moving thread to FZ sub-forum so the correct people can help.
FZRNOOB1
Site Newbie

Post by FZRNOOB1 »

Ok. So im trying to figure out where I can get parts for this bike. If there are any after market parts that are still available and im also trying to figure out how to fix head light issues. The markers work but the headlights dont work. I think I read on here that you have to clean the switches and check the fuses and the should work but how do you go about cleaning the switches, do I use any chemicals? banghead
U.S.A.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Contact cleaner is made for cleaning electrical contacts. (Oddly enough... :whistle ) Any auto parts store or automotive section of WallyMart or Target will have this in spray cans. Q-tips come in handy for scrubbing away at stubborn corrosion, and for scooping out 20+years of cobwebs and cocoons... :yuck:

I'm assuming you have a US model. There are a few switches that deal with the headlights - the main (key) switch, the HI/LO switch on the left grip, and the START button on the right grip (it breaks the headlight circuit to remove the load while starting).

Yamaha is very good about making its switches strippable for cleaning, but there are a lot of little springs and detent balls, and getting the bits and pieces back together can be very fussy. The first time you strip a particular switch group, go SLOWLY - take notes, take pics.

Don't forget to check the bulbs and bulb sockets - loose connections and burned bulbs don't throw much light!
FZRNOOB1
Site Newbie

Post by FZRNOOB1 »

I cleaned all t free contacts and took lots of pics but I got kinda lazy so I put everything back together and I have HIDs from my little brothers civic. I just fused them wired a seperate switch and hardwired them to the batter. Looks awesome.. But I also wanna know wheres a good place to get parts for an fz6.i know at that time alot of aftermarket parts were not accessable. But I know there has to be a newer bike that has to be compareable to this one. Does anyon know any parts that will fit from other models? :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ImageImage
U.S.A.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Just be sure you're looking for FZ600 parts, not FZ6 - Yamaha has recycled the name to a newer bike!
FZRNOOB1
Site Newbie

Post by FZRNOOB1 »

Lol I know....it was worse before I found oit that it wasnt an fzr
U.S.A.