ALUMINUM APPEARANCE AND PRESERVATION

Here is where technical data is provided.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

my1468
Site Newbie

ALUMINUM APPEARANCE AND PRESERVATION

Post by my1468 »

Hope everyones holiday was a pleasant one, Iam still sort of a newbie in the fzr forum, and hope a little insight is available. Im trying to restore a fzr 600 and 2- 87- fzr 1000s, as we speak I have the all three engines ,totally torn down to just cases. Iam going to mask the cases very carefully, and plug all oil ports and passages,then glass bead them, which the finished result is beautiful, only thing is I would like to protect that appearance, with something that wont yellow or crack for at least a few years or longer, I know I could powder coat or plate them, its kind of costly,and a fresh sand blast will always give a brite clean appearance,does anyone know of a clear or coating that will perform to what Iam expecting it to do. Ive heard VHT flameproof clear is good, If anyone has a real good tested ,suggestion, I would appreciate it ,on the highest level. Again thank you for your help, in the past, its absolutely appreciated----- :tks: Noob -----my1468
et_miller_87
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: ALUMINUM APPEARANCE AND PRESERVATION

Post by et_miller_87 »

Here is the problem with raw aluminum. The paint will stick to it but it won't really bond with the surface. Most aluminum surfaces need to be treated with alodine for most paints to really bond with it. Unfortunately, this causes a chemical conversion which changes the color to a yellowish tint. I was looking at my 600 last night and found corrosion on my case, and I also found that it was painted at some point. For that polished aluminum look, it needs to be just that. Polished. But it needs constant polishing to keep from tarnishing. Look at your front forks where the aluminum is polished, and you'll see what I mean.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk