tweeking and supraceeding

Here is where technical data is provided.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

my1468
Site Newbie

tweeking and supraceeding

Post by my1468 »

Iam a newbie member to this site,so please have mercy,I have 2 1987 fzr 1000s that are restoration projects, one is going to be mine to keep,it was love at first site.Iam trying to locate plastics,but the big issue is the cdi boxes,Iam trying to find schematics that will allow me to fix or rebuild them. like the hitachi TID14-57,Iknow this is possible, although not in the right direction in getting this information yet was hoping to find help here.This would eliminate my need to keep buying cdi boxes,once they malfunctioned.Secondly Im aware of some tweeking of the boxes to de-restrict power range,Iplan on working the motor mildly,carbs, pods, pipes,slotted adjustable cam sprockets,maybe a drop in cam. if you could share this information with me it would be appreciated so much,or how I could obtain it,especially the schematics.I have many question about these bikes ILL,start with just these for now because they seem to be the hardest,was on the phone with hitachi inseven different states and no one had the capability to find these resources on the igniter boxes,wll thank you for now,any help will be greatly appreciated,Im going to start moking the build so I could make a list of items needed,will post pics as soon as I can--Thank You--my1468
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Re: tweeking and supraceeding

Post by willandrip »

Arh ha; Just the very introduction a new member should make before barging into a up and running thread like so many newcomers are doing at present.

Well done that man and welcome to the forum.

There is a member on this forum (Don Tz) who will have information on repairing TCI units.
Do a search of his posts and you may glean some info ; hopefully he will pick up on this topic.

There is also an Electrical section that may have some help.

If it is of any help; there are many more TCI boxes for the Genesis 1000 on UK auction sites than appear available in the U.S.......sometime very cheap ,if you needed a donor unit to inspect.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
my1468
Site Newbie

Post by my1468 »

Thank you kind sir, I will follow the lead and try to absorb the information,to fit the need,Iforgot to mention in first post about cylinders,the two fzrs Ive picked up probably the cylinders are out of service limits,dont want to gamble with new rings on old cylinders,yamaha says they don't sell the sleeves,I found one place in Carolina that will re-sleeve them,I was wondering if any one has any info on where to get any new cylinders,couldnt find any online at all.Aside of this I want to say Thank you again,for welcoming me and accepting me into this forum,its gonna be fun-------my1468---
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Would not it be more economical to utilise a Wiseco 1040cc or 1070cc piston kit in the worn out cylinders.

It does not appear listed for the Genesis FZR 1000 pre 1989 but it may be worth investigating.

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductSearch.aspx

What makes you believe the cylinders are excessively worn ?
If it is oil usage, be aware that these engines are not known as oil burners for nothing.
The Yamaha stated oil use limit was exceedingly high compared to equivalent engines of the era.

A member of this forum, Stig, provides the service information on his own Fzr 1000 website;
http://www.stigsdump.co.uk/FZR1000_87_2 ... mation.pdf

I have not seen new cylinders for sale in the past five years but there again I have not specifically searched for them.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

There are no schematics anywhere that I can find, and believe me - I've looked! This is seriously proprietary info that the OEMs keep very close to their chests.

If you are experiencing multiple TCI failures, then check your voltage - it's very likely your regulator has failed high and is cooking everything electrical in your harness.
my1468
Site Newbie

Post by my1468 »

Thank you Mr. Willandrip,for your input,Iwas thinking about a mild piston kit and drop in cam,with upgraded carbs,for the one fzr that Id like two keep for me,Ive bought two of them, and the othe might go up for sale as completely stock,both are going to be total restoration projects.For the one that Im gonna keep and put the goodies into,Ive heard that this bike will really get responsive with the tdi box tweek,Im trying to obtain as much specifics as I could,so when time arrives to build the motor I have a set plan,which I don't have as yet,these bikes are new to me,Ive gotta say it I fell in love with em,I just don't want to build the motor any old way just to say well Ive got this and Ive got that in it,Im trying to accomplish getting the most safest unrestricted and reliable horse power,this bike has to offer,Hopefully along the way fzr online forums could lend a hand with this,it will be a journey for me,Im looking so forward to it,I want to thank you for responding ,and I will be paying it forward from the help I receive from this forum,and including you,I apologize for taking so long to respond back,Thank You Again ----my1468
my1468
Site Newbie

Post by my1468 »

This Thank You goes out to [DonTZ125],I looked on your post about the replaceable,tid or cdi components made by bosch,able to purchase at auto zone,I guess what Im searching for is If some one else is able to repair these modules,Id like to try too,for only personal interests,in knowledge reasons ,so that if mine ever went bad I could fix it ,myself, and save some money or buy some ones that are malfunctioning and fix them and use them on my restoration projects,So as it stands Im really after the trouble shooting of the component,procedures to be able to determine the cause of the failure,in comparison,to doing this for monetary reasons,respectfully.If you could put me in the right perspective of this realm, Id be absolutely humble,if not I want to say thank you, for answering me and responding to my questions ,your help is ever so appreciated Thank You again----my1468
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

On the TCI front.......have you investigated the Vance and Hines power pack units.

I believe they were available for the Fzr 1000 Genesis and are programmable by the user,within limits, via microswitches.

One may give the flexability and repair capacity you are seeking.
my1468
Site Newbie

Post by my1468 »

Thanks again ,you've been right there for me ,God knows your appreciated,Im gonna do some checking,on the spot ,Thank You,I hope there is something I could help you with in the future,Will re-post findings