fuel petcock replacement

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

snydes
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

fuel petcock replacement

Post by snydes »

So after stripping my bike again to do some fixes (OEM valve cover gasket, paint rims, new tires, brake pads, oil change) my fuel tank randomly started leaking from the petcock (never happened before) but only right after the fuel pump had run for a minute or so. I was about to order a brand new one off ebay but realized it didnt have the fitting for the plastic handle extension (which i need) and was looking to rebuild kits now but am unsure which one it is.

What I am wondering mainly is what gaskets does the fzr400 petcock need? because I see many different ones and some of them are different and I am not sure which one it is.
Thanks,

ASnyder
snydes
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: fuel petcock replacement

Post by snydes »

Actually does anyone know if the petcocks are the same on the 600 and 400?????
Thanks,

ASnyder
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Not exactly the same as the 600 has a plate around the knob-mounting-pin, but a 600 petcock (3HH/3HE) fits to a 3BFs/3FHs Tank...and should also fit to a 1WGs Tank i guess.
Original Petcock at my spare-3BF (the oncoming Racer-3bf ;) ):
Image2014-06-07-124 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

600s Petcock at my daily driver 3BF (knob on this pic removed due to troubleshooting-research which i was doing at that moment):
Image2016-08-28-827 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Have a look on CSMNL - find each bike and note down the part numbers to see if they match. You could google or ebay search the part numbers to see what the fuel tap costs, it might be worth simply replacing the whole lot.

Check if the leak comes from the top where the tap joins the tank - that's a rubber gasket and available cheaply.

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha_model8287/
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
snydes
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by snydes »

Found out that the 600 and 400 tank petcocks are the same since they use the same gasket/oring and a brand new petcock for the 600 OEM is still available so I have one of those coming in
Thanks,

ASnyder