FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

architect
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Remove sprocket cover?

Post by architect »

Stupid question ...

How do I remove the sprocket cover on the 1WG? I removed the 5 bolts but I realize the clutch cable runs through a hole in the cover. Does that mean I have to free the cable from the handle bars first?

'88 FZR400
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: Remove sprocket cover?

Post by TomcatMJ »

No, teh cable just keeps connected to the cover untill you remove it from the motor and clip the cable out from the covers inside as theres a mechanism attached where the cable is linked to...maybe its a bit glued together with the motorcase due to all the dirt+chainlubecombination assembled during the time,maybe a rubber-hammer and a few slight knocks might help if all the screws are removed already...and don´t forget to remove the gearshift-lever at first,otherwise this would be the blocking part ;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
architect
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by architect »

TomcatMJ wrote:No, teh cable just keeps connected to the cover untill you remove it from the motor and clip the cable out from the covers inside as theres a mechanism attached where the cable is linked to...maybe its a bit glued together with the motorcase due to all the dirt+chainlubecombination assembled during the time,maybe a rubber-hammer and a few slight knocks might help if all the screws are removed already...and don´t forget to remove the gearshift-lever at first,otherwise this would be the blocking part ;)
Thanks !
'88 FZR400
tatersalad314
Site Newbie

Post by tatersalad314 »

Can anyone explain to me how the clutch cable disengages the clutch? What exactly does the mechanism do inside of the sprocket cover? Does it push the push rod to relieve the pressure on the clutch?

Thanks in advance
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Thats right, and the pre-preussure for pushing ist adjustable via the adjustment screw which is accessible from outside the cover if you unplug the rubberplug which is located in the covers left half...standard is losening the nut, turning the screw full in,then a quarter turn out,then refix with the fixating nut.
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
tatersalad314
Site Newbie

Post by tatersalad314 »

Great, thank you. It's all seized up right now from rust/grime/lubricant over the year. I need to clean it out to get everything functioning again and I'll let you know if I have any questions! :cheers: