Engine swap

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Fizzer40
Site Newbie

Engine swap

Post by Fizzer40 »

Hi I am new in here and just wanted to know if there is any chance of fitting a fzr4001wg 89 engine into a fzr400 3tj bike, I am just starting to try and do a few bike up and only know the basics and bought the wrong engine the 1wg engine with the side bars what the engine bolts to. But have a 3tj bike. Any help would do.
Kind regards fizzer40
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: Engine swap

Post by TomcatMJ »

Hi!
If the 3TJ has got the same Measurements between the Rear-Mountingpoints (where the Bolts go through the Motorcase), the Angle between the Motorcase and the Cylinders are nearly the same and the width of the Motor doen't exceed the Frames width then it migth be possible to work with Adapterplates (which you would have to build or will have to get someone building them for you)...here in Germany there wouldn't be a chance to get this roadlegal as the guys frpm german tüv only allow to put newer motors in older frames but not vice versa, for racing this wouldn't matter anyways...but for racing it might be a better idea to put a yzf 600 into the 3tj frame (or like someone in the netherlands has done as far as i remember) a yzf 750 motor with some modifications to the frame in order to get it fitting ....but for the 600 motor you would have to rejet the carbs to the 600s specs, change the tci to the one according to the motor (due to the lower rev-limit and ignition diagrams of the motor) and change 2 or 3 connectors from the wireharness...the 750s motor would additionally need the 750s carbs i guess...
On the other hand, the 1wg motor also fits directly to the 3bf/3fh (only other color of the case as far as i know), so there would be a good chance to resell it to a 1wg or 3bf/3fh and get the proper motor for your 3tj ;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Fizzer40
Site Newbie

Post by Fizzer40 »

Sorry my name is Tony and thanks for that, was thinking of putting the 600 motor in and just selling the 1wg motor but is that just for the racing scene diong that with the 600 motor I am after selling it on after I have put a motor in it. Did want to put a 3tj motor back in but it's finding a full good running 3tj motor.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

The 1wg engine is to much of a ball ache to fit into a 3TJ frame. The 3TJ uses the engine as a stressed member, the airboxes are different and the carbs will be a b'stard to fit on .... Fitting a T'Cat or Foxeye engine is relatively easy, there are mounting plates available from Projection Componants and the only difficulty is getting the airbox to work.
That said it might be easier to just break the bike and sell it that way, or even as one lump.
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
Krev
Site Newbie

Post by Krev »

Hey Tony, do you still have your 400 engine?