FZR 400 Mikuni Help !!

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

dale
Site Newbie

FZR 400 Mikuni Help !!

Post by dale »

Hello and just a bit of background ..
I bought an Fzr 4oo for my daughter who's at uni in Holland ... First night back in Holland it was nicked .. so being the dutiful dad I got another . Decided in my wisdom to give the mk2 a going over as it seemed to have just a slight hesitation on one pot ... Found 15 valve clearance in spec with one tight ..so it s all in pieces ..three questions any ideas on a valve stick tiny enough to fit the valves ..(2) the plastic T piece between the the two carb halves is suspect ..having been quoted £30.00 any other ideas ....the carbs are Mikuni and there's evidence everywhere of it being tracked or raced ... (3) any other must do jobs ?

Thanks Tom
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: FZR 400 Mikuni Help !!

Post by TomcatMJ »

The valveadjustment is done by taking off the cam and then the cup of the tight valve and changing the shim which is placed under the cup. Every Yamaha-Dealer has these shims or could order them, theres a number graved in one side of the shim,depending on the size you should take one or two numbers smaller than the up-to-now used one (i.e. if its a 175 shim take a 170 or 165, if its a 162 take a 160 or 155, they are available in 5er steps but the ones not ending on 0 or 5 are the factory-ones,not the sparepart-ones).
Spareparts for Mikuni Carbs are at best available at Mikuni, here in Europe for example at http://www.mikuni-topham.de.
Depending on the time the Bike wasn't moved it might be a good idea to clean the carbs in an ultrasonic bath and check all the carbs gaskets, the jet-needels, the needle-jets, the swimmer valveseats and valveneedles, too, for wearing, and check the fuel-line and fuel-filter for clogging, check the airfilter if a new one might be required or the existing one could be cleaned with compressed air, check the carb-joints for cracks+dents (and so for vakuum-leaks).
What Model of the 400s did you buy? 1WG? 2TK(very rare)? 3EN1/3EN2? 3TJ? 4DX? 3BF/3FH?
For the 3BF/3FH you can get a nice overview about available Parts at http://www.cmsnl.com the 3TJ and 4DX Models are inside the Online-Partscatalogue which is mostly linked at your locals Yamaha-Dealers Website as the 3TJ and 4DX (4DX in UK and France) are the Models officially imported to europe by Yamaha themselves, the 1WG and 3EN Models are greyimports from Japan and the 3BF/3FH Models are the US-Models (but the most imported Models of the 400s in Europe ;) )...
Just check the VIN to know which 400 you got there..at the 1WG just check also the Caps of the Carbs, Metalcaps were used at the first Generation of 1WG and are similar to the US-Models, guess even the same jetting inside but not sure, plastic Caps are used on the 3EN Models and are similar to the 3HE/3HH FZR 600 but with other jetting inside afaik..

Overview of the 400 Models(but without the US-Models):
http://www.madsi.co.uk/models.aspx
The US-Models of 1988 and 1989 look like the first generation of 1WG and the 1990 in original Style could be seen at riturbos posting in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12752#p101798

P.S.:One thing kept left which is worth checking: The Voltage Regulator! Its one of the most common sources for electrical problems as the original regulator is known for quickly dying/frying itself and if its defective the best choice would be haning it against the one of a FZR 600R / YZF 600R (both type 4JH depending if its the us or european version,same bike with 2 different names ;) ) or at least one from aftermarket with coolingribs on the housing.
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Re: FZR 400 Mikuni Help !!

Post by Evilchicken0 »

After you've done the valves clean and balance the carbs, these engines are quite susceptible to them. Reg / recs are usually ok.
Headlights use Jap bulbs, replace them with a European unit (the jap lights dip the wrong way too) and you can use H4 bulbs, the rating is usually 35/35 watt. Yamaha headlights are a universal bolt pattern so an FZR600 / 1000 will fit.
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6