swingarm swap

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Tymorgan
Site Newbie

swingarm swap

Post by Tymorgan »

Was wondering if the swing arm from a yzf 600 will bolt up to the fzr 400...any info would be greatly appreciated....New to the site and think its great...A buddy and myself are about to start a 660 mod so I am sure I will be here frequently
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Re: swingarm swap

Post by Evilchicken0 »

You're probably better off with a TRX850 swingarm because it's alloy. Ity's not a straight swap the pivot bolt is a bigger dia so you need spacers (check this) and I think it needs easing into the frame too. Youre probably doing this for the 17" rear wheel, in which case youre going to need the back brake disc, caliper and spindle too.
The rear sprocket is off set from the from the origin chain run a bit so you'll need a spaced front sprocket and I think the bigger bikes use a 520 chain.
Lastly the wider profile 160 rear ideally needs a 120 profile front which in turns runs on a 3.5" rim (yours is a 3") the spindle is a different size .... and larger tyres slow down handling a tad ... doh.

So the bottom line is this, if you have a road bike simply fit some good tyres (ask your tyre fitting company) and ride it. Save yourself a lot of money and spend it on fuel or leathers or a different bike come that time when you want to swap.
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
evan_calgary
Site Newbie

Post by evan_calgary »

Its like taking a chicken, painting it like a cow then being mad when your new cow taste like paint covered chicken.

Don't ruin the handling of your nice little bike that is not replicated in any package anywhere these days by turning it into a gsxr/cbr/zx/R bike. If you want the other bike sell the FZR and buy the other bike.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

evan_calgary wrote:Its like taking a chicken, painting it like a cow .
That was a great night out though :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
evan_calgary
Site Newbie

Post by evan_calgary »

Its a party until you try and eat your ch-ow. I just love the handling of the little bikes as is before you start trying to modernize to standard running gear. Sorry to the OP for throwing my opinion in the mix...

Also, there is quite a bit of info on the forum and on the FZRarchives forum.