Confused about model ID.

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Witchboard
Site Newbie

Confused about model ID.

Post by Witchboard »

I'm having a hard time identifying what model of bike I have, even with the model identifier links.

My VIN indicates it's an 88 3BF. Engine has matching number. It's a non-EXUP model, but I can't determine if I have a 1WG or a 3EN1. The service manual I downloaded just indicates it's a FZR400A and the Yamaha website identifies it as a FZR400U. Is there someplace the chassis number is stamped so I can confirm?
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Re: Confused about model ID.

Post by willandrip »

1WG is the series NOT the model designation.

All pre 3TJ models (I don't think US got 3TJ's) are 1WG series.
I very much doubt it is a 3EN1; firstly they are Exup equipped and secondly, only available as "grey" imports from Japan to Europe.

In the US your VIN number should be stamped on the headstock.

Fzr 400A/FZR 400AC are 3BF models 1989

FZR 400U/FZR 400SUC are 3FH models .1987

This is according to the owners handbooks for both I have in my hand at present.

According to the pics/diagrams in both manuals;

3FH has the early box section s/a.
3BF has the later "Deltabox" shaped s/a.

Exup is only for California models in 3BF.
No mention of Exup in 3FH owners manual even though there is a very small section on California only bikes.

If you post pics. someone will identify it better.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
Witchboard
Site Newbie

Post by Witchboard »

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I'll presume I have a 1WG then. I'm in the process of tearing it down for restoration. Here's a picture of the chassis.
Attachments
fzr.jpg
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

You missed or did not understand the first sentence of my post.

They are ALL 1WG .

Your bike is a 3FH 400U.

In the UK they are known as a Genesis .

38mm forks with twin pot callipers.
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
Witchboard
Site Newbie

Post by Witchboard »

That's where I'm confused. How can it be a 3FH when 3BF is in the VIN and on the engine? I apologize for my ignorance, I'm just trying to understand.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Well ........

If the frame is stamped 3BF and the engine is stamped 3BF then it is a 3BF.

Your first post said it indicated 3BF not categorically stated it.

In the UK and any other country where the bike is imported from Japan as a pre used model; there is no model code on the headstock....only 1WG and a number. The engines are only stamped 1WG and no numbers.

I only looked at the owners manuals for both models .
I don't have your bike in front of me !
I have to decipher your information.

At some stage Yamaha must have used the last of the 3FH parts on the first of the 3BF's

The swinging arm and forks on your bike are from the earlier model 3FH.
I cannot see a PO retrofitting downgraded suspension items unless its a bitza.

You state ;
"and the Yamaha website identifies it as a FZR400U"

How did this conclusion come about ?

Yamaha very rarely get it incorrect on a product they actually made !

I based my indentification on the forks and s/a of your bike pic. and its year 1988.

Unfortunately....in all the years this forum has been in existence no one has posted up any identification pics of the US 400 models in one post to compare against each other.
Witchboard
Site Newbie

Post by Witchboard »

Thanks for all the help. It really is appreciated.
willandrip wrote:If the frame is stamped 3BF and the engine is stamped 3BF then it is a 3BF.
The VIN has 3BF. Is there an actual stamp somewhere on the frame other than the VIN to verify?
You state ;
"and the Yamaha website identifies it as a FZR400U"

How did this conclusion come about ?
There's only two available options for a 1988 400FZR on shopyamaha.com. One is the FZR400U and the other is the FZR400SUC. The diagrams of the FZR400SUC have the EXUP exhaust system, so I presumed this was not my bike as I don't have it.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

See; Over here...Europe... the VIN is a manufacturers alloy plate and/or actual stamping into the headstock. Often both.
Done at the makers factory.

How is your VIN comprised ?
Is it a physical tag from the manufacturer or from your county licencing office ?

I can see how you got confused at shopyamaha. !

See my previous post.....
"Fzr 400A/FZR 400SAC are 3BF models 1989

FZR 400U/FZR 400SUC are 3FH models .1987"

What I should have stated was;
The models after the / are the same bike as the bike before the / but have extras to enable them to be sold in California.

With the 3FH = 400SUC it is a fumes filter. ACCORDING TO THE OWNERS MANUAL..no mention of Exup
With the 3BF = 400SAC it has an exup valve.

Only the California intended sales area are these extras fitted.
Therefore the 400A 3BF and both the 400U/SUC had no exup but the 400SUC had a fume filter.THIS DIFFERS FROM THE PARTS SITE YOU HAVE JUST LINKED
Only the 3BF 400SAC has an exup.FROM MANUAL BUT DIFFERS ON PARTS SITE>

Also; How are you quantifying year of manufacture ?

If it is from the vehicle documentation....log book/ owners title/year of first registration....then be aware
it is not unknown for a bike MADE in 1987 to lie in a showroom unsold for a long period and then once registered it magically becomes a later bike. Great for the seller....fooking terrible for the owner trying to fit 1988 parts to what is actually a 87 bike.
This causes untold grief in the UK with new owners where the bikes info comes from when it is first registered NOT when it was manufactured.

In the UK it is dead easy to find what model the bike is once you know what to look for.......the bikes all have different easily identified major parts and good frame number X reference documentation.

For US bikes it appears many are parts bin specials and I know of no frame number X reference site.

From what I have gathered only the swinging arm/axle parts and the front fork legs/brake calipers differ between the
3BF and the 3FH.The colour schemes MAY be different.
Witchboard
Site Newbie

Post by Witchboard »

willandrip wrote: How is your VIN comprised ?
Is it a physical tag from the manufacturer or from your county licencing office ?
That's an excellent question. It's a sticker, but the sticker matches the engine number, so I'm presuming it's from the manufacturer. I wouldn't think they would stamp an engine serial number after it came over.
Also; How are you quantifying year of manufacture ?
The VIN sticker has the year of manufacturing. It indicates 1/88, which I would presume is January of 1988. Also the VIN itself indicates a manufacturing date of 1988 according to VIN view:

Region: 1 J Asia
Manufacturer: 2-3 YA Yamaha
Model Specific: 4-8 3BFE0 Unknown
Check Digit: 9 5 Valid
Year: 10 J 1988
Assembly Plant: 11 A A
From what I have gathered only the swinging arm/axle parts and the front fork legs/brake calipers differ between the
3BF and the 3FH.The colour schemes MAY be different.
Good to know. The color schemes aren't going to be an issue. The original was red and white, but a majority of the fairings are gone or damaged. I'll be replacing them all at the end of the restoration. Thanks a again for all your help.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

With your information....lots of questions answered;

"Year: 10 J 1988"

10th January 1988 at Iwata, Shizouka in Japan.

This will more than likely explain the earlier forks and arm on a later model.

5 or so working days into 1988 I would imagine the factory build line to still be using up the stocks of 1987 parts !
It is not likely they would scrap them or send them back to the manufacturing plant to be redistributed as spare parts.

You can see how difficult ordering main replacement parts could be for a transition model.

Additional info;

http://www.fzrarchives.com/ipb/index.ph ... opic=57824
Witchboard
Site Newbie

Post by Witchboard »

willandrip wrote: "Year: 10 J 1988"

10th January 1988 at Iwata, Shizouka in Japan.
Sorry for the confusion. The 10 and J are the position in the VIN number and the raw data. However, the VIN still indicates that the manufacturing date is January, so likely everything you said is still true as the bike is a low serial number. Thanks for the link and all the help. If there's any specific pictures you want for some kind of database as you mentioned earlier in our posts, let me know and I'll take them and post them up.
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Hi!
There are 3 Modelyears for the US-FZR 400s with slighte differences:
Modelyear 1988:
FZR 400 U
VIN: starting at JYA3BFE0*JA000101
Model without EXUP
Color: White/Red like first Version of the 1WG FZR 400 Genesis
Two 2 Caliper Frontbrakes
Wet-Weight(instantly drivable): 186 KG
maximum allowed additional Load: 156 kg

FZR 400 SUC
VIN starting at JYA3FHC0*JA000101
California-Model with EXUP
Color+Decals same as the 400U
Wet-Weight: 189 KG
maximum allowed additional Load: 153 kg

FZR 400 W
VIN starting at JYA3BFE0*LA000101 up to JYA3BFE0*LA012100
Model without EXUP
Color: As far as i know same as 1988 Model
Wet Weight: Unknown, guess same as 1988 Model

FZR 400 SWC
VIN starting at JYA3FHC0*LA000101 up to JYA3FHC0*LA003100
Color: Same as 400 W
Wet-Weight: Unknown, guess same as 1988 Model

FZR 400 A
VIN starting at JYA3BFE0*LA012101
Model without EXUP
Color: Black with Silver/ Blue decals
Two 4 Caliper Frontbrakes (same Partnumber as FJ 1200 Brakes)
Wet Weight: 188 KG
maximum allowed additional Load: 156 kg

FZR 400 SAC
VIN starting at JYA3FHC0*LA003101
Color: Black with Silver/Blue Decals
Two 4 Caliper Frontbrakes (same Partnumber as FJ 1200 Brakes)
Wet-Weight: 191 KG
maximum allowed additional Load: 153 kg

Infos were collected from my official reprint of the FZR 400A Servicemanual (bought via a friend nearby Detroit who sent it then to me from http://www.yamahapubs.com ), from http://www.cmsnl.com Partfiches and Partnumbercomparisions via http://www.partzilla.com

Hope that clears some rumors about the US-Models...maybe someone knows same Infos about the UK and French 4DX1 / 4DX2 Models (which are similar to the 3TJ Models,but i don't know to which ones :D ) also so that one Day a really complete List with technical Details about every Model of the FZR 400s will be available somewhere in the Net ;)

Edit: I definitely understand all the confusion about the Model-IDs because when i got my first 3BF as a collection of disassembled Parts, the owner before me had lost all the Papers and it was a fuzzy work to collect als the Information for the German TÜV as they had to inspect the technical State of my Bikerestauration and the official Datas before i was allowed to get this bike on the road again ;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Witchboard
Site Newbie

Post by Witchboard »

Thanks for the additional information.