Uneven front wear is usually down to road camber
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
snydes
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: FZR400 modern sport tire choices?

Post by snydes »

That makes sense except this is like unusual amounts of wear so I need to buy tires from the UK which is gonna cost me a hefty $500 at least for front and rear
Thanks,

ASnyder
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

@snydes: Maybe you should ride more right corners on your ways than left corners? :D

Back2Topic: I'm riding the BT090 on my 3BF since i've restored it and the last set had run 4500 Miles and had still 2mm profile at the rear and 2,2 at the fron tire,but nevertheless i changed them at this amout as it was just before our german FZR-Forum Meeting where i expected to run a little more than 1k Miles at that Weekend (travel to the hotel, riding around there, traveling back to my home should have summed up to something like 1,2 k miles or so for that weekend ;) ) and as the law here in germany says "not less than 1,6 mm profile" i didn't want to get in conflict with some policemen for nonsense during that ride, so i changed to a fresh pair ;)
And actually it's around -1 to 1 degree celsius here in cologne/germany and the bt090s have suprisingly good , not full, grip even when starting in the fresh temperatured morning. Ok, the tires temperature is there just at the next trafficligts, around 2 miles away from here, but then there seems to be full grip available.
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
snydes
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by snydes »

So you think after almost 8k that much wear is acceptable? Ill take some pics tomorrow for you to see what it actually looks like.
Thanks,

ASnyder
snydes
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by snydes »

here are some pics - http://imgur.com/gallery/NuU2R

hopefully you can easily see the wear
Thanks,

ASnyder
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Hm, can't see excactly the actua state of the TWI (=Tirewear Indicator) "Bridges" inside the profiles grooves,but they should not be on the same level of the non-groove-part of the tires as if they are,the remaining profile is near behind the end of street legal use here in germany. Some tiremanufacturers place them as an indicator for reaching 1mm remaining profile (which is less than allowed here in germany for any bike above 80ccm) and some for indicating 1,6 mm (which is the red line for roadlegal use her in germany for bikes above 80 ccm)...
So if unsure check the TWIs as they are in different sections of the tire and if they are equal to the surrounding rubber, its a good idea to get a new set of tires ;)
Obviously i would change them if the grooves are too worn and seem to be thinner than a TWI would be in the lowest/most worn sections..just because the tires might still be ok in dry road situations but will be a bit too slippy if the road is cold&wet...

For comparision:
Fronttire BT090F with 2mm remaining profiledepth:
Image2016-05-01-673 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
Image2016-05-01-675 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

Reartire BT090pro with 2,4 mm remaining profiledepth:
Image2016-05-01-676 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
Image2016-05-01-677 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

Just changed them due to the expected milage which took place a week later and i wasn't sure if the profiledepth would still have remained in legal range after the tour...grip was ok at the time of exchange, but i thought it might be a bit to narrow to the legal edge.

Freshly mounted set of BT090 after carefully riding home 12 km from the tiredealer:
Image2016-06-10-751 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
Image2016-06-10-752 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr

I forgot to check the profiledepth directly after mounting the tires...hm,next time perhaps then ;)

And the reason for a especially carefull instead of normal ride home (found when i changed the tires at the tiredealers garage to save some costs):
Image2016-06-10-748 by tomcatmj, auf Flickr
Seems this Brakepad (formerly located in the right front brakesaddle) was a monday morning production, but luckily i had a set of spare-brakesaddles including usable brakepads in my spareparts collection, so a quick exchange at home was no big deal and braking in town at maximum 50 km/h (around 33 mph) is easily possible using the rearbrake instead of the frontbrakes if not riding in kamikaze-style ;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
snydes
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by snydes »

So i plan on getting new tires no matter what because i know the ones i have are shot and its not worth risking it as i've put 8k on them this year so its not to surprising theyre worn down. But my real question is do I spend the extra money and get these:

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike- ... -67h-84614
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike- ... -54h-81497

or buy the same ones i have now the Shinko Podiums?

the cost difference is almost double for the BT090 but if theyre that much better and will wear down less ill probably do it.
Thanks,

ASnyder