FZR/XR650R Build Thread....... It's Alive!

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

olie05
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Re: FZR/XR650R Build Thread

Post by olie05 »

Great build. Thanks for sharing. Will you be using lower failings? Looking forward to the next update.
tgold
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by tgold »

olie05 wrote:Great build. Thanks for sharing. Will you be using lower failings? Looking forward to the next update.
Thanks.

I'll be putting something like a TZ or RS 250 fairing on it. I'm looking for all the aerodynamic advantage I can get with such a low horsepower bike.
XR650R in an FZR400 chassis project
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Love the prototyping. :thumbsup:
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
elmwood
Site Newbie

Post by elmwood »

Great looking project, look forward to more updates...
tgold
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by tgold »

Almost done with the tail section. Should be about 5.5 pounds by the time it's finished, heavier than I'd hoped for, so I'll build a different design and this one will be a spare:

tgold
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by tgold »

Brought the frame inside to bond the tail's mounting lugs in place. Pretty much done with the tail except for a few small details and installing the seat pad. Also, I machined the ZX6R lower triple and pressed in the FZR400 stem. It didn't press in quite as straight as I'd like, so I'll have to work on that a just a bit Maybe a half a degree off center. Then it's on to getting the motor mounts and shock mount welded.

Rossi and Stoner looking on in approval:

Last edited by tgold on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreyImport
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by GreyImport »

Casey went to Buffalo ?
Fishing must be good there :thumbsup:

lol
1990 FZR250R 3LN1
1977 Triumph Bonneville 750 T140V

http://2fiftycc.com/index.php
EMAIL: greyimport@2fiftycc.com

LiteTek Carburettor Seal Kits
http://www.litetek.co/index.html
slickwill
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by slickwill »

Just reread this.

A couple comments. Kicking over my 680cc XRR isn't that bad. I don't have the auto decompression either. Mine starts first kick 95% of the time, and always within 2 kicks.

Someone asked about jetting somewhere in there. I can definitely get you close depending on how extreme you get with your engine build. Mine is WAY out there from stock so I can give you the range from mild to wild.
...dude you ride an offroad bike with slicks, 1/2 the weight of a GS, double the suspension, with a browning 50 cal going off 32" from your skull as a daily freaking driver - I'd expect anything except a nitro dragbike to be bland by comparison - SSG
tgold
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by tgold »

Redesign of the engine mounts. Almost ready to take it to the welder:

ImageImageImage
pefrey
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by pefrey »

Your build is among the top of the list of most impressive builds. Nice work. Carry on.
tgold
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by tgold »

Wow... Thanks!
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

Wow. Just enjoyed the entire thread. It was great seeing the hockey sticks in there - you are definitely the current MacGyver of FZR builds. When I saw the honda motor in the yamaha frame I was worried about you getting smited or struck by lightning but thankfully you survived.

As YG mentioned a while back keep in mind on your new tail rebuild where your VR can be located and be kept cool. Have you looked into airbox/pod filter solutions? The FZR stock tank cover doesn't leave much breathing room.

Keep it up on this awesome build.
8 Bikes so far...more coming too...Image

Finished my 2000 GSXR 750 -> Link here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3617
tgold
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by tgold »

Fizzinatorr wrote:Wow. Just enjoyed the entire thread. It was great seeing the hockey sticks in there - you are definitely the current MacGyver of FZR builds. When I saw the honda motor in the yamaha frame I was worried about you getting smited or struck by lightning but thankfully you survived.

As YG mentioned a while back keep in mind on your new tail rebuild where your VR can be located and be kept cool. Have you looked into airbox/pod filter solutions? The FZR stock tank cover doesn't leave much breathing room.

Keep it up on this awesome build.
Thanks Fizz,

No smiting yet, but I haven't actually tried to start it ;)

I decided against the hockey sticks for the current tail opting for a monocoque design. If I used vacuum-bagging I'm sure I could have made this one a couple of pounds lighter... there is way too much resin in this one but I'm happy with it considering it was my first shot at making a composite tail. However, the next tail I make will be a bit more conventional looking using the hockey sticks for subframe rails and carbon fiber at the joints with a normal tail fairing attached to it. It still be a good bit lighter than the current one by a couple of pounds with a lot less effort and cost plus it'll be a lot easier to show others how to do it.

I have zero room on the tail for the VR, but I have plenty of room up front. The VR for the XRR will be located up front where it can get some breeze, but I may switch to a MOSFET style that is much less prone to overheating and more reliable.

As for the tank/airbox. Using the stock tank would require so much modification as to be practically useless, so for phase one of the build, I'm basically switching positions for the airbox and fuel tank. The first tank will be a simple two gallon plastic fuel tank designed for a garden tractor and I'll just use a pod filter for the monster carb. For the second Phase (probably next winter) I'll make a carbon fiber tank and pressurized airbox utilizing the ram air scoop on the 2003 TZ250 bodywork I'll be putting on it. I'll probably be switching to fuel injection as well.
tgold
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by tgold »

Dropped off the frame, swingarm and engine mounts with the welder. I should have it back by the middle of next week. Then things will really start picking up steam.
In the meantime I'll be cleaning the carbs on the '99 R6 I just picked up a last Sunday. It's an ex-Graves Motorsports bike with Ohlins suspension. Just the rear shock cost more than I paid for the whole bike :) I'm also thinking of going with a '99 R6 front end on the FZXRR Instead of the ZX6r front end, that way, I can use the same wheels for both bikes.
slickwill
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: Re: FZR/XR650R Build Thread

Post by slickwill »

tgold wrote:I'm also thinking of going with a '99 R6 front end on the FZXRR Instead of the ZX6r front end, that way, I can use the same wheels for both bikes.
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
...dude you ride an offroad bike with slicks, 1/2 the weight of a GS, double the suspension, with a browning 50 cal going off 32" from your skull as a daily freaking driver - I'd expect anything except a nitro dragbike to be bland by comparison - SSG