FZR400 modern sport tire choices?

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

tgold
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: FZR400 modern sport tire choices?

Post by tgold »

Surviving a trackday on Shinko's "proves" little. I have yet to see or hear about anyone who is racing and winning consistently on Shinko's. That should tell you something about how good they are.

The list of good tires that will fit on the OEM FZR400 rear wheel is almost nonexistent. Which is why going to a 17" rear wheel is becoming more of a necessity.
XR650R in an FZR400 chassis project
snydes
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by snydes »

tgold wrote:Surviving a trackday on Shinko's "proves" little. I have yet to see or hear about anyone who is racing and winning consistently on Shinko's. That should tell you something about how good they are.

The list of good tires that will fit on the OEM FZR400 rear wheel is almost nonexistent. Which is why going to a 17" rear wheel is becoming more of a necessity.
I may have to do this eventually as my rear rim is warped and has about 20weights on one spot[emoji23] but it works for now

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Thanks,

ASnyder
britx303
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by britx303 »

tgold wrote:Surviving a trackday on Shinko's "proves" little. I have yet to see or hear about anyone who is racing and winning consistently on Shinko's. That should tell you something about how good they are.

The OP didnt mention racing at all or track days,so the question whether or not you can "win" on shinkos isnt really relevant.I mentioned shinkos only from personal experience as opposed to many guys who knock them,yet have never used them.My point with the track day was,even though it was two track days,its far faster and pushes more than what anyone should ever do on the street,therefore my point was if they can hold up perfectly fine on track,then more than adequate for street. Yes,17" conversions are great,I did 2 of my bikes with the F2 rears,but now racing on the stock 18" per class rules.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Can you get the Dunlop Alpha 13 over there ? - I think they do a 150
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
britx303
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by britx303 »

Evilchicken0 wrote:Can you get the Dunlop Alpha 13 over there ? - I think they do a 150
Not sure....a 150-18" or 17"? I think dunlops are the one manufacture ive never run before,so i've no idea on anything about them nor what we get here
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike- ... GwodzA4Fgg

The Alpha 11 was loved over here because it was new modern tyre in an 18" rear
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
SubyRS
Site Newbie

Post by SubyRS »

FWIW...
The company that handled the tire mounting for my 400 is Wheel Works in Garden Grove, CA, USA. They have been doing noting but selling and mounting only motorcycle tires for the last 38 years. I knew the two owners when they first started business and I was having my 73 Honda XL250 knobbies installed : )) They do race bikes, drag bikes, dirt bikes, touring bikes and anything in between all those. In what I view as their expert, experienced opinion, they said the Shinkos are the worst of the Chinese rubber out there. They said I would hate the way they handle compared to Bridgestones, and they have had many "fall apart" with very low miles. That was enough to convince me. Questioning someone that has sold and mounted probably a million motorcycle tires, would be a waste of my time and theirs IMO. They have seen the quality issues with Shinko's and have had to replace them with something else. Now they won't even sell them. They will mount them if you bring your own. That doesn't mean they can't be used in a pinch though. I just wanted the best I could get for my 400. :thumbsup:
My 1989 FZR400 (restored)
britx303
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by britx303 »

Fair enough.......but they're korean jk
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

In 38 years you'd have to fit just over 72 tyres per day every day to hit 1million
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
SubyRS
Site Newbie

Post by SubyRS »

Yeah, 38 years dealing with every type motorcyclist imaginable, every type of motorcycle tire imaginable, every type of end use imaginable....and you get the intended point that I'll take the experts at Wheel Works word for it. Don't need a calculator for that IMO :thumbsup:
evan_calgary
Site Newbie

Post by evan_calgary »

Sooooo....where did this end up? I am going to need tires soon. Vintage usually only comes in the BT45, Avon RR or the Conti attack. Have raced minis on the BT45 and liked them. Have heard Contis are a level up but this is all hear-say.
SubyRS
Site Newbie

Post by SubyRS »

Three choices for the best "sized" set of rubber IMO. 150/60/18 rear and 110/70/17 front. (Stock rear size is 140/60/18. A 160/60/18 rear is too wide unless you mod.)

1) I got the Bridgestone 090's in a set from the UK. Expensive to import, but best suited for street sport riding.

2) The Shinko Podiums, which are readily available in the USA. Cheap and very funky looking with what looks like holes drilled in them.

Read the whole topic and size / brand debates and make your decision from there.
snydes
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by snydes »

So this thread is dead but i thought id share some info. I bought the Shinko Podiums 009 last year and started riding the bike this year with them. The front seems to work well with no wear basically the whole season, the rear however has a large flat spot all the way around already, the rubber itself feels very soft meaning that these are not great quality, ive had the bike slip out slightly on these tires often.

looking around for a better rear tire i came across these: https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike- ... -67h-84614

still in stock, and people were talking about them, my only issue is i cant ship them to Canada or the States.

edt: found another link that also says in stock and deliveries global i think- http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/bridges ... -rear.html
Thanks,

ASnyder
britx303
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by britx303 »

snydes wrote:So this thread is dead but i thought id share some info. I bought the Shinko Podiums 009 last year and started riding the bike this year with them. The front seems to work well with no wear basically the whole season, the rear however has a large flat spot all the way around already, the rubber itself feels very soft meaning that these are not great quality, ive had the bike slip out slightly on these tires often.

looking around for a better rear tire i came across these: https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike- ... -67h-84614

still in stock, and people were talking about them, my only issue is i cant ship them to Canada or the States.

edt: found another link that also says in stock and deliveries global i think- http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/bridges ... -rear.html
Whats the milage on the rear? Im assuming the flat spot is in the center.......are you just commuting/highway milage? The rear slips out often.....have you crashed from it or did you find where its limit was? Bridgestone r10 fronts take a good lap to get a good feel,even right off the warmers.....drives me nuts but I love them and know what it does.Point is,some tires can be great right up until they arent and "BOOM" youre sliding down the pavement like a lightswitch was turned off on grip.Other tires give a little warning slip that you are at their limit but still recover fine,and you ride accordingly. Rubber feeling "soft and therefore not great quality".......Are we talking for commuting or going to the track?
snydes
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by snydes »

Both front and rear have about 8k on them just this year. The rear has a flay spot in the middle yes. I just learned that the front has a very uneven wear where its very worn on the left side and like fresh on the right all the way around. I am commuting mostly normal roads not on highways ever really. I've never crashed i've only ever just slid slightly while starting from a stop and going around a corner. the rubber from the tires feels soft from commuting.
Thanks,

ASnyder