Oil Gauge question

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

TheFizzer
Site Newbie

Oil Gauge question

Post by TheFizzer »

I have a question to all the 400 Fizzers out there. I have a 1990 american 400 fizzer, and I am having problems that when I am sitting for long periods of time that the oil temp gauge starts to move up, after about 5 minutes usually it is almost at the top of the mark, but when I start goin again it moves back down is this normal with our Fizzers?

The Fizzer
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Oil Gauge question

Post by cad600 »

Could be wrong about this, but I don't think that is an oil temp gauge. It should be the water temp gauge which is very normal for it to move up when sitting and down when you get moving. If it goes up to the 3/4 mark, the fan on the radiator should come on to help cool it off.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Yep, coolant temp gauge.

The only oil monitor you should have is an oil level light.

FZRs can get warm when sitting. I recommend a manual fan switch if you sit in traffic or for extended periods of time.

An even better solution would be to replace the radiator with something larger from say a Honda F2 or F3.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
csofos
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by csofos »

That's right. Cad600 and Ragedigital are right. The only oil indicator it's a red light on control panel. And we have to say that this red light does not works with the oil pressure. It works as an oil level indocator. Whenever your engine oil level it's too low, (i don't know how many cc's) this red light will come up. However, you can ride your bike even when it's lighted, but with low rpm running (lets say 5.000rpm tops). And of course you'll have to find as soon as possible a gas station.
THE COST OF YOUR HELMET, IT DEPENTS ON HOW MUCH EXPENSIVE YOU THINK YOUR HEAD IS.
bweight
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by bweight »

If you're getting into the red on the temp gauge all the time, then I'd start checking things out in the cooling system. Thermostat, Thermo-switch, thermo-unit, coolant levels, etc..

Last year when I bought my 89 400, it did the same thing, but I could control it with the fan over-ride switch like Ragedigital mentioned. This year, however, I cannot control it. I've removed my thermostat, flushed & burped the coolant system twice, placed Engine Ice in the rad and it's still overheating. Yesterday, VERY dangerously.

I ordered a new (used) waterpump from Ebay as the last thing to check on the cooling system and it just came in today so I'll be tearing down and installing later tonight.. If that doesn't solve the issue, then well, I'm gonna have to start looking at the motor..
89 FZR 400
Custom Paintjob
600 plastics.
06 - R6 Shock
FZR600 Motor
Polished Frame & Engine Covers

Soon to be:
Broke........

FZROnline.com Decals. Get yours Now!!!
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Manual fan switch would be the best bet. Mine gets really hot to when sitting in traffic and I just flip the switch on to cool her down.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

TheFizzer
Site Newbie

Post by TheFizzer »

I guess it is the temp of the engine gauge that we are talking about now since you all have confirmed that. Sorry for the confusion, just didn't know what to call it. As far as a manual switch, I don't have one, so.... How much does it cost, where can I get it, and is it easy to install? Thanks for all the input it has helped me a lot, and Keep posting more!!!
The Fizzer
1990 FZR400 (American) Black and Dark Blue
MX # : 39B
Cell: 704-791-9595