R6 Forks 3TJ Wheel

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Re: R6 Forks 3TJ Wheel

Post by RoadDogma »

YPM25 wrote: Should save a fair bit of money using these disks and the wheel will match the rear 3tj wheel i will be using. Win

Not sure how the wheel will fit yet as i havent seen the parts yet.
I have a 3TJ swingarm and rear wheel on my 1WG, as well. It is a great set-up. Particularly if you are running a T-cat motor, as the sprocket offset is very close. It you are not using the T-cat motor then you well need to space the front sprocket out. (6mm?).
Last edited by RoadDogma on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FZR400 (1WG): Purchased a perfectly good FZR400 with Yoshimura slip-on/EXUP, Yosh jet kit, Factory ignition advance, Racetech springs and emulators. It even had great bodywork. Like some diseased maniac I had to mess with everything good about that bike. Well, at least I have better brakes now.

FZR400RR (3TJ):Yeah, it's pink.
RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by RoadDogma »

mawler wrote: I have a 92 FZR600 does that still apply. Thanks.
I have a 3TJ and a 1WG. I have done this set-up on a 1WG but not a 600. I have a friend with a '1WG and a '92 FZR600, and from what I can tell the fork length is about the same between the two but the 600 stands taller, so I'm sure that if 3TJ forks are too short for a 1WG, they will be too short on a 600. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I'm just sayin' your front ride height and bar placement will be lower than original. I'll take some measurements this weekend to make sure.
mawler wrote: I've located a set of upside down FZR400 3TJ forks.
:udaman

Show me that bike, so I can swap forks without getting protested.
FZR400 (1WG): Purchased a perfectly good FZR400 with Yoshimura slip-on/EXUP, Yosh jet kit, Factory ignition advance, Racetech springs and emulators. It even had great bodywork. Like some diseased maniac I had to mess with everything good about that bike. Well, at least I have better brakes now.

thatkid

Post by thatkid »

NO photo just a link to buy a set.
RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by RoadDogma »

mawler wrote:NO photo just a link to buy a set.
Bummer. Let me know how it goes.

RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by RoadDogma »

I've got some measuring done, so you can assess the 3TJ fork option.

Fork length (from spindle to top of tube)

FZR600: 795mm
FZR400RRSP (3TJ): 710mm.

Here is a pic of my 3TJ front-end.

Notice the step in the triple clamp to accommodate the shorter forks. Normally the tops of the forks are flush with the top of the triple clamp, and the clip-ons mount below. Because of this triple clamp design, mounting to a 600 would require much lower bar placement than original. It's doable, and not bad for a track bike, but it is aggressive for street riding.

I also took measurements for ride height by measuring from the axle to the bottom of the lower triple with the forks fully extended. Measurements are given with the forks flush with the clip-ons for the 600 and 1WG, and flush with the upper triple on the 3TJ.

FZR600: 490mm
FZR400(1WG): 475mm
FZR400RRSP (3TJ): 465mm

As you can see, running a 3TJ front end will result in 25mm less front ride height. You might be able to get away with it. I actually run 465mm on my 1WG, but that's only 10mm less than stock. It's 25mm for the 600. That is a big difference. I have no idea how the 600 would take it.

YPM25
Site Newbie

Post by YPM25 »

With the R6 forks (40mm shorter than fzr((still not got them to comfirm))) and the 3tj triples as shown in the pic above,

I was hoping that would still be able to maintain stock ride height and keep the clipons above the top clamp. The gul wing shape should help.
RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by RoadDogma »

I'm assuming your going with first generation ('99-'02) R6 forks. Those are longer than the later ones. It's been a couple of years since I had the R6 forks in that set-up on the 1WG. I had the clip-ons below the triple clamp, but as I recall there was just enough fork length to mount the clip-ons on top. Again that was on a 400, not 600. I had stock springs in those forks which are really soft, so I'm sure you would do better and gain some ride height with stiffer springs.
Last edited by RoadDogma on Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thatkid

Post by thatkid »

mawler wrote:I've located a set of upside down FZR400 3TJ forks.
I did later state there was no photo, I messaged the seller. Today he uploaded a photo and edited the description, they are conventional forks. Plank

Thanks to RoadDogma's brilliant advice the 400RR front end is not for me. Thanks.
dru86
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by dru86 »

RoadDogma wrote: Be careful. Much of that info is in error.
None of the FZR400s were fitted with 41mm forks. The T-cats got 41mm not 43mm, and only the '89-'90 FZR1000 had 43mm.
The 3en2 did in fact come with 41mm forks. As said previously pre that came with 38mm (3en1, 2tk and the earlier 1wgs) and post that (3tj/4dx) had 43mm.
fzr660/400: fzr400 3en1 frame, 3en2 swinger, custom single seat subframe, fzr660 motor conversion, APE adjustable cam gears, full D&D 4-2-1 exhaust, falicon clutch basket, ignitech ignition, R6 front end with tz250 wheel, ohlins shock, storz steering damper, tzr250 rear wheel.

weighs 166kg wet (25kg lighter than my stock fzr600).
RoadDogma
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by RoadDogma »

Sorry, one of the 400 models had 41s. I'd still be careful, that's only one of the four "FZR400s before 3TJ" that will accept T-cat forks, so make sure it's a 3EN2, and good luck trying to fit T-cat forks into 43mm FZR1K triple. T-cats only came with 41mm forks.

YPM25
Site Newbie

Post by YPM25 »

Put together all the parts loosely last night, 3tj front and rear wheels, 3tj swingarm and yokes and R6 forks. Looks like it will end up being very agressive geometry. It all sits lower than standard, swingarm is shorter. So it looks like the rear will have to be raised alot making the steering steeper :cheers: Few spacers to make now. Really want to clipons over the top yoke but this looks like its not going to allow enough ground clearance with the forks pushed that far through.

Might start a new thread the correct section as this is a 600 :)
dru86
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by dru86 »

Mounting the clipons aove the tripple clamps instead of below will only effectively give you the height of the top tripple clamp anyway. However will change where the forks sit through the triple clamps the thickness of the clipons.

When i had my early r6 front end on the 600 I had the clipons mounted underneath the top triple and really liked how it rode. I think with the clipons mounted on top (aftermarket clipons about ~30mm thick) the bike would have been too twitchy.
fzr660/400: fzr400 3en1 frame, 3en2 swinger, custom single seat subframe, fzr660 motor conversion, APE adjustable cam gears, full D&D 4-2-1 exhaust, falicon clutch basket, ignitech ignition, R6 front end with tz250 wheel, ohlins shock, storz steering damper, tzr250 rear wheel.

weighs 166kg wet (25kg lighter than my stock fzr600).